Sign in to follow this  

storage help please!

I can't ride my drz for about 4 month during winter. I keep it in a heated garage, do I need to do anything besides a full tank of gas and get it off the wheels. Drain the carb or not? should I start it every week? What is the best for heated storage. Any experienced advice is appreciated. Thanks.

There is no need for storage!!!! Travel to the unsnowy area!!! Just playing!!! if you have an S you might want to start it a couple times a month so the battery dosen't die. Or even disconnect it and charge it when your ready to go. 😢 Personally i would drain the gas tank if your garage is heated. Who knows what everyone else thinks. Also I would just do a good lube job and clean it well for next spring. Im still new to the whole dirt bike world but thoughts help.

I can't ride my drz for about 4 month during winter. I keep it in a heated garage, do I need to do anything besides a full tank of gas and get it off the wheels. Drain the carb or not? should I start it every week? What is the best for heated storage. Any experienced advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Clean it. Fill the tank. Add gas stablizer. Drain the carb. Take the battery out. Store battery someplace that does not freeze. Keep fully charged. (above 12.6 volts) That's it.

I was overseas (USAF) for 3 1/2 months earlier this year. I put StaBil in the tank and ran it util the treated gas was in the carb. Didn't drain the float bowl. Removed battery and took it inside. When I got back I charged the battery for a few hours and the bike started right up. Did the same for 3 other bikes, all started and ran fine. YMMV

This is what I'm thinking I would do. Leave the old gas in the carb so it turns into varnish. In the Spring, use the gummed-up carb as justification to upgrade to a FCR39. 😢

"Oh honey, I didn't know I had to drain the gas. Now, I have to buy a new carburetor. I'll never do that again."

If my logic does not work for you then get some Sta-Bil. It works great.

Clean it. Fill the tank. Add gas stablizer. Drain the carb. Take the battery out. Store battery someplace that does not freeze. Keep fully charged. (above 12.6 volts) That's it.

Ditto 😢 The only other thing I do is change the oil before putting it away. Then in the spring take a 20 min ride to make sure the oil is at operating temp and change it again. Gets any condensation/contaminants out that may accumulate while sitting. I use a battery tender for my 2 bikes and 70 camaro, switch it from one vehicle to another every 2 days. If you don't keep the batt charged, you probably will be able to put it on a charger and get the bike started but it will fail sooner than if kept charged all the time. Learned the hard way after a 6 month Navy deployment, my Dodge truck & Ducati both had batt disconnected. Truck barely started, Duck had to be charged first. Both batteries were replaced within a year.

The advice I've read is to either get the wheels off the floor or pump up the tyres to well above normal road pressure - it stops the tyres deforming and staying misshapen at the one point where they squash out under the bike's weight.

Also, protect against condensation - maybe spray all over with WD-40?

But definitely, DEFINITELY get a battery tender and keep that battery fully charged. Allowing the battery to die over winter will kill it for ever and you'll need a new one.

Cheers

Ian

Looks like you've got a place to store the bike (garage), but I thought i'd share this funny thing I read on another website.. For someone that has no place to store a bike, this is a pretty slick idea 😢

This reminds me of a funny thing one of my buddies did last year. He could not find a single place to store his bike' date=' so he came up with a genius plan. He took his F4i down to our local dealer, and put his bike on consignment. He put some ridiculous price on it (something like $11,000) just to make sure nobody would even consider buying it. The best part was, the dealership kept it cleaned and shined all through the winter in a heated showroom. When riding season came back around, he went and got his bike back from the dealership and since they didn't sell his bike, all he had to pay was something like $20 for each month the bike was there for some consignment fee.[/quote']

-Mike