Sign in to follow this  

What size SuperMoto Rims should I use?

What size Rims should I use on my 04 DRZ400S?

One more question, Can a local dealer be trusted to lace my new rims with the OEM hub? My roommate says they can't but I am wondering if anyone has done this before.

Andrew

I run a 3.5" front and a 4.25" rear. Not sure about whether you can trust the dealer - it all depends on who's doing the lacing for them.

P.S. Welcome to TT 😢

I don't trust dealers for anything....

These are the same kind of people that put lithium grease on my chain once on my first service. No thanks I'll wrench myself. 😢

About the only things I have had a dealer do to my bike.... :

-Balance a wheel after I installed a rimlock

-Remove the magneto off the crank (lack of tool)

Keep it specific and simple and don't let them touch anything else.😢

The only way you can trust any dealer is if you know the mechanic thats gonna be touching your bike knows what the hell he is doing.... like know him personally and that he isn't a goof. 😢

Lacing isn't that hard and if you are ever gonna learn it why not start now. Just take note of the pattern on the OEM hub before you tear it down and do it yourself. 😢

That being said lacing is a simple enough procedure the dealer may be able to handle it. 😢

On the rear I'm running 5" rim. When lacing it up I felt like I was pulling the rim to the brake side a bit to line the edge of the rim w/ the back side of the sproket mount to keep the chain off the tire. I've done three this way. So I decided the other day to string up the tires and see how far off the alignment was and to my surprise the rear is 12-15mm closer to the chain side of the bike than the front.

The Dunlop 160 D207 DOT fits the 5" perfect. The 160 slick looks small and the 165 slick could use a 5.5" rim.I feel like the 5.5" w/ 165 will work(w/ the axel towards the back).I'm gonna try it.

Try Eastcoastwheels.com

5 inch is more than enough rim.you will have to run the chain adjusters all the way back to run a 5.5 or mod the swingarm.

offsetting the rear wheel has no ill effects and as you have found even stock they are not in line.