Sign in to follow this  

o.k to run 2 master links

I did the same thing a few years ago and ran it on my 2 stroke for a whole season. One of my many, DOHHHH!!!

ive done this before as well...

so I figured..f it just add in an extra master...well to add in another master you take out another link...you get the pic.

Unless you are adding in a length of chain...2 masters wont work back to back..

I've never seen any good come from running 2 masters on a chain before. Usually only run it as a temporary fix if broken down away from camp.

Have you ever seen anything bad come from running two master links? 😢 Master links are rated at the same strength as the rest of the chain, it is absolutely fine! 😢

what about riveting the chain instead of masterlinks

Just safety wire the clips on and you're good to go.

post a pic..ive never heard, let alone seen that ever...I cant imagine it lasting more then a mile.

To be honest I saw it in a pic of a motard bike and for the life of me can't find it again. You just wrap a small bit of safety wire around the clip between the link and put the end (the twisted bit you snip) on the outside of the links. You do it vertically on the outer link only to hold the pin on. From the way it appeared, it was tight enough to stop from sliding up the link towards the pivots but just loose enough to offer a small amount of flex. Being on the outermost link the inner links seemed to give it enough free space to prevent it from hitting the sprocket. The snipped end was bent out towards the outside of the chain from the inside, so that when it spun the centrifugal force kept the end from bending outwards and sticking out. The chain it was on and the appearance of the safety wire itself, seemed to indicate it had been on a few rides. If I can find it I'll post it, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a pic of it unless someone else can find one.

I was kind of shocked to see it too. It was the first time I'd seen a chain safety wired, but it looked like it was working. Who knows, maybe it's common in road racing. I know those guys have to safety wire everything.

Its fine. I ran one like that all year. Just make sure the clips aren't backwards and your fine.

It's fine to do it with 2........I have it on my 03' crf450 right now. Going on 1 yr. now with 2 of them. Just one of many of my.....OOOPPPS.

Two master links are fine, except there is twice the change of a clip falling off. With modern chains that is not much of a concern. Some people like to adjust the length of the wheelbase by adding or subtracting an extra link. Rear axle way back for more stability at high speed, axle forward for quicker turning.

Reading your other post, my guess is that you've put a paddle on and need a bit more chain. I've done exactly that and have never had a problem. 😢

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I feel better about running two master links now. Thanks.