Sign in to follow this  

Will sand dunes tear an X-Ring

I have the D.I.D. X-Ring chain and was wondering that if I took it to the sand dunes if that would tear the X-Ring or if I should be o.k. What do ya guys Think? 😢 or 😢

well the sand is kool it polishes your bike and kleens it for you, it doesn't hurt any chain, i have ran either and never had a problem,---(but you need to be careful with your air filter,just barley oil the inside and leave the out side dry, like stock,--so the filter works like a shaker and throws the crap off and not into it ,---its the way you should be oiling your filter anyway!!) and i always have a new stock filter ready for when i return so i can really kleen the dune one several times to get it all out,----and don't forget to remove the shock plastic guard on the air box off or the paddle will rip it off and take the air box with it,---and you have to have a flag,--and it is a good idea to have a back up fake identification because they will give you a ticket for something,--no lights,--no California sticker,-no AZ registration or plate, riding across the road,--what ever----so be prepaired---and have fun,--it is the best riding you could do !!!

The problem that I have seen with both X-ring and O-ring chains in the dunes is that the sand is so fine it gets traped in behind the rings and will prematurely wear out the link pins. I personally prefer to use a good quality standard chain for the dunes. (D.I.D. ,Renthal ect.)

If you use some kind of chain lube that remains sticky and attracts and holds a lot of dirt, you'll have trouble with sand grinding on the O-rings and wearing them. Use something that drys out, like Maxima's Synthetic Chain Guard, or, as a lot of people do with an O-ring chain, just spray some WD-40 on it after washing, and you will have no problem.

On the air filter recommendation, no one I know has ever oiled a filter that way. Foam filters came into being because paper filters were too restrictive, not because they didn't filter well enough. Foam elements get around this by being very open to air flow due to the very large size of the pores in the foam. Thanks to that, it became possible for an air filter that would allow adequate air into the engine to be small enough to actually fit in the motorcycle. The ONLY way that they are capable of keeping anything smaller than fine gravel out of your intake is by catching and holding the dirt in the oil applied to the element. The air path through the filter foam zig-zags several times before it gets to the inside, and at each turn, dirt particles run into the walls of the pores. If the pores are oily, the dirt sticks. Otherwise, it heads for your cylinder walls.

Use the stickiest filter oil you can find, and work as much of it as you can into the element as thoroughly as possible, inside and out. If you are concerned about a layer of stuff building up on the outside, use Filter Skins, or something similar. Having a layer of dust on the outside of the element is a lot better than having that same layer down inside the foam at the point where it first encounters oil.

i get more motors through my shop ruined by overoiling filters and pulling sand in from the dunes(i have one 04 crf hear now) it just keeps pushing the sand into the filter until it gets through,---i have never lost a motor from sand intrusion and we go all the time ,---the shaker idea is how the outter wear or filter skins work,----the idea of only oiling the inner has been around when they made the filter come appart in two peices in the eirly 70s, ----i know what i see and what i have learned from being at the races and seeing and talking and finding out what the teams do and why it works the best, in the sand you have got to shake it off and not let it build up and cram its way through intill it gets inside,--because it will--------now the filter skins and or outerwear's work, but boy they cost power,----

If you can tell a power difference between running an outerwear and not running one, you should have a factory contract. Outerwears are great for the sand, keeps it from even getting in the pores.

Your chain will be fine - just use wd-40.

i tell ya you would not believe the difference from what we have found when running the hill and how they run on top,--actually the womens pantie hose is better---and you can see a difference on the dyno also,--,on the trx 2 strokes that we build and run the hill with, an outerwear will cost you a bike length, and yes it hurts the 450 also, the pantie hose over a dry outer filter is better than an outerwear,------i was at olds and none of the bikes but two 05s could get with in about one bike of me for quite afew runs( now i can hit the whoops way harder and my shock just really works on whoops)( i was on my old beat clapped out dead thrashed 03 and felt very confident, then i told my bud on his 05 to remove the outerwear and lets hit it again (this is where i like to test stuff, its the best dyno of all)--and we made 10 more runs and now he was 1 to 1/2 bikes ahead of me even with me getting through the whoops 1 bike better than him ,---so yes in that invirement it is easy to tell, --its the best dyno of all!!!