Sign in to follow this  

xr mods

i just bought a 02 xr50 i am going to build a small backyard track for it and i was wondering how big can the jumps be before i need to get dif forks and shock? i plan on getting the heavy duty springs. how far can i go with them?

It depends mostly on your skill level - not just your riding, but also your jump building skills. If the contour of your landing ramp is designed well, it will continue your parabolic trajectory and allow to you land even a huge jump extremely softly (think olympic ski jumping). Especially with smaller bikes, you can use your body as a giant shock absorber - "placing" the bike on the landing ramp, then letting your weight come down on the bike. It's possible to do all this with stock shocks. The bigger suspension is for when things don't go so well which is more often for beginners, but inevitable for all.

Build some small jumps and work up, you'll be surprised at how much dirt is actually takes anyway.

I got 30 yards of dirt and by the I was done, my track hardly looked any different.

I was originally sold on it being a requirement to get a stupid sick set of front forks, frame, swing arm, rear shock, etc...then I watch 50nuts and 3rd gear pinned. Half the dudes doing the big dirt jumps (with appropriate landings of course) are still running the stock set ups (with springs at least I'm sure). SO i totally agree with the above statement...its more about how YOU land the bike than anything. If you can set it down right, you'll be fine. A great bike is only going to compensate for a shitty rider (like me) to a certain extent. Practice...

Mostly the reason those people have the stock setup is becuase thats all that was around when those movies were made. All the new movies will have all the 50s with the nice suspension.

If you hitting BMX ramps then yes. stiffer springs work perfectly, but on motocross tracks where there are braking ans accerlerating bumps and the take off ramps and landing ramps are perfectly smooth, then thats where the really nice suspension comes it. It really depends what kinda riding your going to be doing.

yehh bmx jumps and stiffer springs would be perfect as long as there not like 20 foot doubles lol but they prob wont be so it would be fine

I think a rear shock is kinda a must if your going to be jumping anything big.I had a stiff spring on my stock shock and it was an improvement over stock but it doesnt compare at all to my I-SHOCK.