Sign in to follow this  

About about the wire screen on filter holder?

We just got that '03 WR 250F and first thing we had to do was re-oil the filter, because the bike sat in a garage with only 15 hours of ride.

This is the first time I see a wire mesh screen on a filter holder.

Can this be cut to increase air flow? Or is there any problem in doing this?

Or is there any problem in doing this?

all that screen does is prevent a backfire from igniting your air filter and burning your bike to the ground. that's all. 😢

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

There has only been one reported incident of a bike catching on fire, but it was due to massive flooding from a spill. I dont ever recall a backfire fire. That said, I run twinair's backfire filter just the same.

The WR's airbox is more of an airflow killer than the screen is. Taking the screen out will help, but without the airbox getting modded it wont help as much as it could.

My Suzuki DR Z250 does not have the screen and it never caught on fire. I know a lot of people with thumpers, one with a Husaberg Fe501 and he does not have the screen either...

Take a used filter, oil it then put it next to the flame of a burner and see what happens... I guess it will not burn like that. I will try tonight just to see but my guess is that it will take a few seconds of intense heat for it to start burning. I see the foam getting dark and hard, but burning... Yes, I see how spilling gas from the carb onto a red hot header could start a fire...

We will look into modding the airbox.

Thanks, this is a much more dynamic forum than the DRZ forums, for some reason 😢😢