Sign in to follow this  

Need RM advice...

I recently rode a friends RM-Z and RM-125 and was very impressed with the handling on both machines. They seemed to corner effortlessly compared to my YZF. I am selling the Yamaha to make room for a Suzuki...I need some opinions on which one. Should I buy a RM-Z or RM (125 or 250).

I am concerned with reliability as I am not the most skilled mechanic, so some honest words would be appreciated. I have read the magazine reports, but would like some "real world" feedback before I buy.

Thanks.

yzboy144, its a question of where you want to work harder--on the track, or in the garage. The RMZ will have more usable power, better starts, and won't beat up your body so much. the drawback is maintenance. you'll be changing the oil more often, and need to check your valves every few months or so. its not too hard to check valves, and you can likely find help from someone else who has experience doing it. the RM 2-smoke is going to require more work on the track. harder to get the holeshot, you'll need to stay on the pipe quite a bit more to use the power, and you'll be one of only a few 125's competing against the 250's. However, you can't beat the weight and maintenance of the 125. so like i said, either you work harder in the garage, or on the track. your choice. I chose the 250f, after years of racing 125's. good luck in your decision. and by the way, don't forget to change your ID--you're no longer a YZboy.