450sx to use for Enduro/Dual Sport?

Anyone ever try this? Any thoughts on this?

I have an opportunity for a good deal on a new '03 450sx..... problem is, I am really interested in the 450exc. The dealer has mentioned that I could just get the Electrux "Dakar Kit" and dual-sport it (which I would probably want to do with the exc anyway...).

Is this a good idea? Would the higher-revving sx be any good as a trail bike? I ride in very muddy, wet conditions and also feel that I would need to change the tires for enduro conditions. This would also mean changing the rear wheel, as the sx has the 19" rim with lower-profile tire for hard dirt & sand, & I would likely want the 18/21 setup from the exc. (though with DOT knobbies) The 7l tank would probably also be a range-limiting problem, particularly with the 41mm carb and higher compression..... If I change to KTM's 13L tank, do I need to change the seat?

...plus no E-start ? ... I know that the kit is available, but... this could all start to cost some cash....

Any other thoughts? Is this just a really bad idea??

?

If you get a good SX for cheap it would be a good deal, or if you want a quick revving quick turning LIGHT weight woods bike.

You will need:

Suspension revalved (350ish bucks min)

6 speed with 30oz crankweight to keep it from stalling(600ish bucks)

13/52 gearing(vaires just buy a 13 front comes with 52 rear)

Spark arrestor (100 bucks for PMB) or trade for an EXC silencer

18" rear rim/spokes (160 bucks plus labor)...I run the 19 with a 120 tire and its doable....

Power Now (so it starts easily 80ish bucks)

So for 1200 bucks your now a lot closer to having an EXC, but its lighter more powerful, and better suspended but no Estart.

From here you would add the protection needed for the woods, like skid plate, hand guards, slave cyl guard, etc....

Oh and an auto clutch would be sweet.

Fuel range is 45 miles so you may need to go bigger on the gas tank.

Thanks Cisco. Sounds like this is getting more expensive, though... All this (plus lighting kit, etc) would put me close to the price of an '05 450 exc.... this bike being offered is a new '03. ...and still no E-start...

..and I never really thought about the exhaust...

What exactly is the "Power Now" you are referring to?

The power now is a replacement intake bell on the rear of the carb. It has a horizontal plate that stabilizes airflow into the carb. Basically it enhaces the pilot circuit response (bottom end), and makes the bike a shade easier to start. the JD jetting kit is also good for getting the jetting dialed in.

Oh and I forgot you need to run an EXC stator and flywheel to produce enough current for a DS kit.

YEs expensive, but one light flickakble DS bike ?

I had a 2003 525sx it sucked as a trail bike + to add lights you will need to get a the exc stator, stator cover and fly wheel. I would say like otheres have said it would be not be a good idea , it could turn in to a big pain in the arse. Trust me!! The sx has a smaller stroke as well there are just so manny different things from the sx to the exc.

For lights you HAVE to have the exc stator and flywheel and cover... I just purchased my EXC stator... I put the E start on my SX also... I SHOULD have just started with an EXC... easier to make into a MX bike than turning the SX into the trail bike...

That is the long and expensive way around. I'm doing that now because I originally wasnt planning to ds the bike. If starting over I would buy a 400exc to keep the short stroke motor (I like it better than the 450exc). If I wanted more power then I would bore it out to a 470.

As far as being a trail bike I love mine alot thats about all I ride now, its awesome as stock but the auto clutch made it perfect.

As the sig says, its a rip snorting trail eating monster. ????

You can sell the SX and buy a used EXC for less money than you can make the SX workable!

Stainless Steel valves (madatory!!!!), EXC Ignition, 6speed gear box, spark arrestor, pet cock with reserve, lights, revalve suspention softer for woods, 18" wheel, skid plate etc, probubly $3K to prep the bike!