Sign in to follow this  

Installed New Decompression Cam

Last night I took the valve cover off and change my 01 cam for an 03! After two hard years of riding and more than 7500 miles I was at the low end of the spec. The intake valves were right on .1 mm and the Left exhaust was at .17 mm and the Right exhaust was at .16 mm. So I will reshim! Thank god I dont have a CRF250X! 😢

Anyway I had a near miss with the retaining clip! I droped it twice into the head but because of the rag stuffing it was saved! A very tense moment at 9:30 and no dinner in my belly!

😢

While I'm in there what else should I do?

While I'm in there what else should I do?

it's your call what to do with the manual decompression system. i simply removed the handlebar mounted pull lever and the cable. i left the mechanism on the head in place just in case i drowned the bike -- although that's never happened i thought that since i can still actuate the assembly by hand that *might* be an asset to get all the water out. if you do decide to remove the mechanism then get the TT/vibeguy aluminum plug and be done with it.

ps

you'll be totally stoked by a) the vastly easier dead engine starting, 😢 much improved resistance to stalling at low RPM's, and c) trivial bump starting when you do stall it.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

I was wonder whether I needed to take out the decompression lever, since I dont then I won't! In the directions on Thumperfaq it says for some older YZF's you need to remove it but I guess I do not.

Could this lower spec range cause the bike to not start when its below 50 degrees?

So pysched to be able to bumps start my bike!

keep the decompression lever on...It helped out when you flood your bike or submerge it in a deep creek

I still use my decompresion lever sometimes. Like for a dead engine start I will "Prep" the motor by getting it just past TDC. The autodecompresion cam removes some but no all resistance. Or If you know you are flooded and just want to kick it thru a few times before trying it. Plus I don't worry about a plug flying out which can happen. 😢

I installed a set of hot cams this spring on my '02 and purchased a billet plug to plug the head. This past weekend the plug started to leak oil. Anyone else using a billet plug? Trying to decide whether to add some gasket sealent and reinstall the plug or reinstall the decompression mechanism but with out the cable.

i did this mod i love it , i took off the cable and the lever, i dont want to beriding and accidently pull the lever in and have my valves kiss the piston

I don't think the valves will kiss the piston. We left the mechanism on my son's 02. Still works great. Like above posts, we use it to prep for a startup and to clear a flooded cylinder more quickly.

Wow, that's quite a thread resurrection.

TU87, I had to goop the hell out of my billet plug with exhaust silicone because it leaked. The auto decomp cam is the single best mod for those pre-03 bikes. I love mine.