Sign in to follow this  

xr250 vs TTR250

I know the answer will be the xr, but I'm asing on the yamaha forum as well. I want you guys to tell me why the XR is the better bike.

This is my first bike, me and my dad are both getting them and he hasn't ridden since high school. I"m 17, 6'1" and 150, and my dad is in his 40s 5'10" and 160. Which bike is right for us. I'm leaning toward the XR becvause of its bullet proof reliabilibility and easy modding. My dad is leaning toward the TTR mainly for its electric start I think.

Ok guys, convince me

no aftermarket suport for the TTR other then a silencer.....and skid plate, xr line has everything......i never saw replacement plastic in dennis kirk for a ttr250 either, nor any mx rear fenders for it, reason i want a xr250....

........ add the XR weighs less and has better suspension.

its 8 lbs lighter then the ttr250 but has 10.8 travel and the ttr has 11.02.....it is higher then a ttr250 by an inch i think.

its 8 lbs lighter then the ttr250 but has 10.8 travel and the ttr has 11.02.....it is higher then a ttr250 by an inch i think.

Travel is not everything. Ride them both and you'll see what I mean.

didnt say it was, just throwing out spec for the kid. i rode a ttr250 it was nice but xr250 is beter

having tried both in knarly trails i find the TTR a bit more nimble and possibly a tad more motor bone stock than the XR. The elect start is certainly a blessing especially for the novice rider, it sure beats kicking the bike over on a steep uphill when you hot stalled it

as far as reliability i'de say the XR is the best bet, the only drawback with the Xr is indeed the kickstart,

I"m 17, 6'1" and 150, and my dad is in his 40s 5'10" and 160.

in my opinion , at your age 17 you will likely outgrow any bike , the Xr250 is certainly more bullet proof than the TTR.

As for dad cranking , if you do your mods properly and maintain it i don't see any reason it wont start inside of a couple kicks.

BUT you might be both real happy on a CRF250x 😢😢

stu

yea but were not up for the 6 grand a piece the crf250x costs

this is true BUT its not long that you spend over $1500 modding an XR as well!

stu

BUT you might be both real happy on a CRF250x

Spend a few minutes reading the posts over in the crf250x forum and I doubt you'll have any interest in the bike for casual trail riding.

Just look around and pick up a good used XR. They have not changed in 5+ years and most used bikes have been fixed up with the standard goodies. There is no way to say which bike is "best". If you want e-start, then get the TTR. If you want greater aftermarket support and potential for performance mods, get the XR. Very very few folks can truly outride either bike.

Very very few folks can truly outride either bike.

this is SO very true, my thoughts exactly 😢

stu