Sign in to follow this  

TTR250 vs XR250

These are what it has come down to. Me and my dad are both gettting bikes, and I'm and 17, 6'1" and 150, my dad is in his 40s 5'10" and 160. Which bike is right for us. I'm leaning toward a xr for its bulletproof reliability and easy modding. My dad is leaning toward the TTR for its electric start.

Thanks

Both are good bikes, I believe that honda doesn't make any more XR250 and yamaha still makes the TT-R. It is all in what brand you prefer.

Both bikes are absolutely bulletproof and awesome trail bikes. I have an 86 TT350 that has never let me down or needed anything major. The electric leg on the TTR is a tiebreaker in my mind. Also consider a WR250 or the best value in the world a KDX 200. STRONGLY consider the KDX, it is as inexpensive as the TTR or XR, bulletproof, and incredibly competant. If you are worried about rebuilds, dont be. 2 hours of simple labor once a year or two and it is done (no more difficult than a valve adjustment).

i would go with the ttr. it has electric start which really helps. my little 125 is impossible to start on a cold day when i try to kick it, the i push the button and it starts right up. the honda did get its reliable reputation from the xr but i would say ttr is doing the same thing yamaha. everybody says that ttrs are bullet proof. i had a friend that but an xr 100 and the first day it got an oil leak(broken oil hose), and lost two of the spokes. just in the last 4 months hes been through 3 shifters, a clutch, clutch perch, brake, and brake perch. as you can see no major problems but, ive had my ttr125 no 6 months. me and my brother share it for now and we put about 30-40 miles on it a weekend without exaggerating. the only thing that ive needed were new brake pads 😢

i would go with the ttr. it has electric start which really helps. my little 125 is impossible to start on a cold day when i try to kick it, the i push the button and it starts right up. the honda did get its reliable reputation from the xr but i would say ttr is doing the same thing yamaha. everybody says that ttrs are bullet proof. i had a friend that but an xr 100 and the first day it got an oil leak(broken oil hose), and lost two of the spokes. just in the last 4 months hes been through 3 shifters, a clutch, clutch perch, brake, and brake perch. as you can see no major problems but, ive had my ttr125 no 6 months. me and my brother share it for now and we put about 30-40 miles on it a weekend without exaggerating. the only thing that ive needed were new brake pads 😢

I and my whole family prefer to ride our '04TTR125LE over the '02XR100R we own. I do have to say though, the TTR has not held up nearly as well as the XR. The XR has many hours on it over the last 2 years and still has stock bars, levers, plastic, etc. It has been abused by myself and my kids beyond what a bike should have to take. The TTR we've had for about 6 months now and the plastic is white where it flexed, the right footpeg bent back in a low speed dump, the handlebars bent when a twitter bird landed on them (not really but the fall was about the same), and numerous little issues. The TTR is a much more fun bike, but comparing both bikes out of the box, the XR is better built hands down.

I had an XR 100 before my TT-R225 and think that the honda was more reliable/durable. The electric start is pretty nice until your battery dies and you need to push start it down a hill.

If I didn't get a good deal on the TT-R I would have gotten a XR 200 or 250.

Well I think I've found the bikes were going to buy. Found a good deal with a guy who is selling a 03 xr250 and 02drz250. So I think were going with those.