Sign in to follow this  

120/90/19 question

on a '03 CRF450 - stock 19" rear wheel - can i run a 120/90/19 tire without it rubbing or hitting anything? 😢

My chain slaps against my tire bad with the stock size on there, so I would think wider would be worse for it.

Yes you can. I've run Dunlop 756 120's on mine with no problem.

If your chain is rubbing...it's too loose. Don't adjust it like other bikes, the CRF450 only needs 3/4-1" slack and it looks too tight but it's not. Measure it, you'll be surprised!

Michael

on a '03 CRF450 - stock 19" rear wheel - can i run a 120/90/19 tire without it rubbing or hitting anything? 😢

Keep in mind that knobbie widths follow two different standards (dumb). Dunlop measures to the outside of the carcass, not the knobs. Michelin measures to the outside of the knobs. So it takes a wider spec Michelin to match the width of a Dunlop. The numbers in the Honda specs are using the Dunlop measurement technique. Michelin knobbies often come with a yellow sticker on the side that shows the equivalent Dunlop-measured size.

MichaelH is right. If your chain is hitting your tire that bad it is too loose, junk chain, or worn out.

I ran a Maxxis 120/90/19 on both an 04, and 05 with no problem.

The 02 through 04 are the exact same setup, so you should be fine.