Sign in to follow this  

1982 Honda XL500R

I could get a screaming deal on yet another old timey Honda thumper.

If I'm not mistaken, the XLs had different gearing and less suspension travel than the XRs, correct? Any other differences? Any chance this engine could be dropped into my '79 XR250 frame? Or would the complete bike make a more competent off roader?

http://www.sitetechnician.com/xr2501.jpg

The gearing will be different on the XLs, as they were made to be dual-sports, mostly on-road, but the suspension differences (if any), would be minimal. I purchased 1980 XR500 rear shocks on eBay, and they bolted right on to my 1980 XL500S.

Why not keep the XR250 for the woods, and use the XL500 as a dual-sport bike ? If all the street-legal parts are still on the bike, and they all still work, you can have a decent dual-sport that can be used as a commuter ride back and forth to work. The bike has a nice height, for an average-sized rider, and has enough oomph to get up to the speed limit rather quickly.

The XR is already street legal and has been plated here in Colorado. We have very low standards!

I also have two street bikes for commuting (his, hers).

The dualsport idea had crossed my mind, actually. I'm trying to figure out my garage equation: must have 2 off road bikes, one for me, one for wife. The XR is good for wife, but a little wheezy for me. Balance with budget...

I'll go have a look at the bike at the very least.

Possibly, just a slight rear sprocket change will bring the 500 down to a decent off-road range, and then you and the Missus can both enjoy dual-sporting.

We have very low standards!

I'd prefer to interpret that as: Informed, enlightened legislators who advocate the sport/hobby.

It's too bad the Santa Ana winds can't blow that kind of mindset, East, to Jersey... 😢

Not only do the XR engines differ fm the XL's (mostly in carb jetting and electrics) but the 82 XL is so different from the previousl XL 500's as to almost be unique.

I'll go have a look at the bike at the very least.

You haven't said what the asking price is.

Asking price was $395

I called and left two messages. His email bounced. Never heard from him. This was on local Craig's list. Some kind of flake, I guess.