Sign in to follow this  

Haven't heard of this on TT before...Watch out!!

I went to pull the tank while ago to do my plug swap, and the fuel line was stuck on the petcock fitting. I gripped the hose gently with a pair of pliers and twisted just a little bit to break it loose......and the WHOLE BRASS FITTING came out of the bottom of the petcock, along with the hose. This surprised me as I have removed stuck hoses that way forever.

After separating the hose and the brass fitting, I tapped it back into place using a piece of leather and a screwdriver handle. No leaks, runs fine, but I don't know if I tore anything up or not.......Does anyone else know? I also rubbed a tiny bit of cup grease on the fitting so maybe it won't happen again. This was a new one on me, so I thought I'd share.....

happens all the time.you did fine.

Burned, Somehow, Sometime, one of these days I'm gonna do something to help YOU out 😢😢 ....Thanks for being there, man. 😢

I've always been disconnecting that hose on the carb side. I hope that fitting is sturdier than the tank fitting.

Happens all the time. Mostly with pot metal (cast zinc) fittings. I usually use a drop of Loctite when I put the brass back in, but as long as it dose not leak you are fine. A better technique is to push the hose off rather than pull it off. Even doing that, the brass sometimes comes out especially on old stuff.

Agree about pushing the hose off. Its like a chinese finger trap. If you pull it the tube stretches and gets thinner/tighter. If you push it it gets fatter/looser and comes off much easier.

In my experiance anyways.

Happens all the time. Mostly with pot metal (cast zinc) fittings. I usually use a drop of Loctite when I put the brass back in, but as long as it dose not leak you are fine. A better technique is to push the hose off rather than pull it off. Even doing that, the brass sometimes comes out especially on old stuff.