Sign in to follow this  

Kickstarter wearing thru shaft from peg abuse

It seems to me each and every yz250f,426 and 450f i've seen have the same wear marks on the kickstarter. It seems that they dont stand up to all that bashing into the peg too well. 😢 Well anyways, i try not to kick it home to the peg but it inevitably happens on the trail usually in frustration when im not thinking. My problem is that it seems to be wearing really really fast. Its about 1/3 of the way thru the shaft (most of the wear was previous owner) but i want to either stop the wear (do aftermarket pegs help?) or remedy this problem some other way. Anyone have a homegrown fix to this? I was thinking a small hose clamp around where the wear surface is and clamp it tight, the stainless wont wear like the soft aluminum does. Those are my initial thoughts but im looking for some advice. The other fix would be to fill it with a weld but im looking for a more homegrown fix that anyone can do. Ideas>? Lets hear em.

Mine's that way too, my friends isn't... it's because I kick mine to the peg and he doesn't. Mine is like all the way to that little seam in the middle too...gonna have to replace it before it breaks and learn to kick my bike differently I think.

Mines the same on a 01 YZ250F and its been worn in the same spot since i ownded it. i doubt that mine will break.

Reason being the stop doesnt really hit the kickstarter right on the stop center. My block actually broke off!

What I did is take a clear nylon tubing, cut it a couple inches long at the most, 3/4" ID and 3/16" thuick and siptie it. Really durable and even softens the kick. I havent worn through it but when I do, just turn it and re ziptie it.

It's easy to tie it because for work we use this ziptie tool that tightens the ziptie to a set tension, and when it gets to that tension, it cuts it off right at the block. If you tighten it by hand, the zip tie may slide down and fall off...

-Phill

P.S. I heard the BBR levers do not hit the kickstart lever.

Hey thanks alot for the ideas guys, i think the tubing idea is great, somehow that solution never crossed me wee mind. 😢 Its the simple things you often over look thats why i asked. Great ideas. The BBR lever is nice and i did look at it but i could only rationalize that buy if the stock lever wore in two. BBR stuff is real nice, i had a bunch of it on my crf230, so im sure its as nice as it looks. Well im going to try nylon or rubber hose on it tomorrow. Thanks for the input. Ride on.

I used the rubber stuff for a ride and it chewed right through it. Then I found that clear nylon tubing (no threads in it) and it still looks the same...

My 02 only has a small indent in the bottom of the kick starter. I guess I don't kick as hard as the rest of you guys do.