Sign in to follow this  

Snow Bike Kit Survey

I've noticed a lot of talk about "studding" tires for snow. I live in conditions which no amount of studding will make a bike operational (can you picture 300 inches of annual snowfall at the local ski area). I developed a kit to convert a dirt bike to a snow bike. It is in the prototype stages right now but I hope to get it together to sell some by the end of the season.

My question is "what kind of market exist for such a creation"? Is it cool or lame? I have big shoulders so I can take criticism if you have any. How many of you actually ride in snow conditions or would ride if you had the equipment?

Sno X Cycle Conversion Kit

Thanks for your help!

PM the TT'er named Frostbite. He has his yamaha set up to ride up in the artic or somewhere or something like that. He had a ski on the front and massive bolts on the back tire. He even rides it across lakes. You could probably do a search and find out about him. 😢

looks like a great concept and like lots of fun. Problem I see is the proposed cost of 2000-2500. Around Here I can buy a pretty decent sled for that much.

Good Point but then again you have to look at the competition. A new sled cost $8000 (+) as well as the snow hawk. We are looking at ways to lower the cost, but realistically it probably will be close to the $2000 mark. In a world were $400 - $700 for a exhaust system is the norm. or over $500 for a set of prestuded tires, it doesn't seem that bad considering what you get for the money.

Thanks for you input and we will keep an eye on the cost.

You should bring one of those down to the Boise area and let some people check it out in person. Maybe have a local accesories shop like RoadRash promote a gathering, it would be kewl to see it perform.

Impressive.

We used to stud up every winter and ride the Fox River and surrounding areas. With global warming as it is, we hardly even have winter around here anymore. I haven't studded up in 2 0r 3 years.

If you have that much snow in your area, yeah, that would be cool. I would seriously consider it. I would think you could use the same technology to propel a water craft of some sort.

😢

Have you ever watched "watercross"? That is when they race snowmobiles on the water. Amazing speeds and performance, unless you bobble, then you sink. Looks fun but I am afraid to ruin my sled by sucking water when I did my submarine imitation. I will stick to snow (and dirt).

This thing looks super fun. You should post a video. I ride snowmobiles in upstate NY, but I would love to bring this thing up there. Does it STOP well? Price is a little high for me though. The problem I see is that I buy a new bike every other year. Would these be interchangeable from bike to bike or does it have to be model specific?

The basic kit would be universal with a bike specific mounting kit sold separately. We plan to make it adaptable to most bikes. Yes it stops well. The only time you miss the front brake is when coming to a full stop with both feet down, or some steep hills. I am working on the video. We have some footage of spring riding and will be trying to get some more when we get some deeper snow (Temp.s been to warm, lots of rain). I am trying to get this converted to digital so I can post.

OK so here is the question on price:

Do we offer them as basic kits (plastic wheels, 4130 steel rail) and get the price lower or do we build the kits with "bling" with billet rail and idler wheels?

We would like to offer those pieces as options but if you look at the pit racers or current aftermarket out there for dirt bikes & pit racers it seems looks are more important then function, What do you think?

you should make a cheap version thatll let people be able get away with it....and then you should make a good one with quality components. They do it with cars and tons of other things...why not this.

I have not rode the sidewinder kit so I can not comment on performance. I have talked to the builder as well as many who have ridden it, mostly good reports, only negative comment was gearing, I am sure Vernal has that worked out as he knows what he is doing. Also no information on release date or cost so I will not comment on those as well except to say his kit is not available yet either.

The most obvious differences I see is the ease to change the bike back and forth. The "sidewinder kit" requires swingarm, shock, and airbox to be swapped, as well as the brake caliper and wheelsets. My kit only requires the addition of a link mount (Incorporated into the skid plate) and swapping the wheelsets for the track and ski assembly. Chain length is different so the chain needs lengthened or replaced. Front brake is removed in both kits.

The other obvious difference is the track width and length. His incorporates a track compation ramp with a 10" wide track. I am sure there are advantages and disadvantages to that design. My kit use a 6.25 wide track in order to fit in the stock swingarm. Once again advantages and disavantages.

My feeling is competition is good. Thats what makes the YZ's and CR's better and it will continue to make my product better as well.

I think it looks like a blast...I want to see a vid also!

What do the sled guys say when they see it on the trails?

I know how picky they can get about trail conditions and hate seeing 4wheelers out on the trails. Technicaly it's a sled but it will put down a different set of tracks

I have a sled I use about 5 times a year and get about 1400 miles under my belt.

I wouldn't own it if I had another alternative for snow.

So far sledder response has been great. Lots of looks. This thing is easier (less damage) on the trails then a sled. A sleds skis push more snow in a corner then my kit. Also unlike the idiot's on the sleds (you know who you are) that stop and then drag race leaving land mines in the middle of the trail, my kit doesn't trench. The bike is light enough and I suspect the clutch/manual transmission helps as well. The other great feature is I can ride the edge of the trail were only the sleds skis touch, much smoother ride then the sleds and way more comfortable. I did a 90+ mile trail ride one day. At the end just a little arm fatigue, back and legs felt great. The same trip on a sled about wipes me out, legs and back ache the next day. Much better riding posture on the bike, plus its a lot of fun.

Thanks for the input. The video is coming, just need to convert it to digital so I can post.

would no doubt be ok on hard pack and trails. but i'd guess you'd not do well in deep powder, not enough flotation. especiall on the front. My bro lives in Calgary and I've been up there sledding with him. Even with the latest wider extended tracks on the sleds with mega flotation, you still settle way down in the deep pow.

Floatation is a problem with any machine operation on snow. Deep bottomless fluff is difficult even with todays high horse power 151+ tracked sleds. The kit does well in most snow conditions, including soft snow with a base. That means powder on top of firmer snow. I have ridden in 18"+ snow with pretty good results. There are two things that you must factor in when comparing this kit to a snowmobile. 1-weight, the bike with a kit is still more then 100lbs lighter then the lightest sleds, and 2-the ski breaking trail. While a sled struggles in deep powder when breaking trail, a sled following in its tracks has a much easier time. Same with the snow bike. The ski breaks and packs a trail for the ski. I am not claiming that these things rival a long track sled, but I think you would be amazed what they are capable of.

The other fact that must be remembered is this is a motorcycle, not a snowmobile. The fact that it works at all in the snow is amazing.