Sign in to follow this  

NOR-CAL 450MXC for woods?

My brother is possibly looking at this bike. It's used (a little) and can get a good deal on it. I've done some research here and now I'm totally confused about what's good and bad about the gearing. 😢 Is the tranny ratios, espically 1st gear usable at places like CC Camp, Cow Mountian, Stoneyford, Foresthill, etc? 😢 I've heard the EXC is better but I can't pass up this offer. Any info from riders at these places with these bikes would be great, THANK YOU.

P.S. He weighs about 260lbs.

you can change sprockets to adjust the gearing. the places you mention are all pretty fast and open trail systems where i rarely use 1st gear, so for a reasonably skilled rider, i suspect it doesn't make much difference. also the sx ratios should be the same as the mxc ratios, and plenty of people ride those trails (and more technical ones) on mxc's.

u looking at cisco's bike? that's a sweet rig, and he takes good care of it.

Enduro,

I am looking at the same decision process. MXC or exc and I ride all the same places. At any OHV park would would be fine but if you get out into some of the public land spots where renegade trails have been made, i think the mxc may come up short. I personally wouldn't pass up a great deal on the mxc. I ride a wr now and it is perfect but sometimes I think the close ratio would be nice, other times the wr is perfect. I am looking for a little more umph so I just figure i can run most of the stuff in second on the exc where as the mxc i can use first, the nice thing about the exc is if you get in a tight spot you can always grab that granny gear which may just be the differencee in making the hill or not. The beauty of the mxc is that you can open it up in the middle of the hill and you get more wheel speed.

My buddy runs 13/45 on his sx He rides french gulch area exclusively and hill climb competitions He had it a 13/52 and said that was too low.

It is a major dilema. I lean toward the exc one day the mxc the next (sx with a 6 speed would be nice to) I just want the 525.

I think riding the mxc with the higher gears will force you to be a better rider. The exc will let you stay lazy( not a bad thing for the weekend warrior)

Thanks for the info so far guys. It REALLY helps out!!! There has to be someone else out there though?

I have an o4 450 mxc with 52/14 gearing and ride up evrything at all those places.........

Most of my riding is MX and tight eastern woods. I raced a YZ250F in harescrambles and had a chance to try a WR450F and got a taste of a wide ratio transmission. Right now I'm riding a 05 525 MXC and I love it! The gearing on the MXC is not quite as wide as the 4 speeds and is not as staggered as the EXC's. For MX I find myself running 2nd and 3rd gear mostly. For the woods it could be any of the first three, it just depends on your riding style. Run and gun it in 1st-2nd gear, or lug it around in 2nd-3rd while you rely on the torque of the motor.

Now I know that you are looking into a 450 and that might make a slight bit more of a difference when it comes to tranny ratios, but I believe that can all be adjusted with a sprocket change.

In my opinion, if your use to a close ratio trans then get the MXC, if your use to a wide ratio, get a EXC.

I ride a 450sx at cow and live in santa rosa. I would have liked to buy a exc, but thay are hard to get. When I ride at cow there are times I would like a fifth gear witch I bleave a exc has. What were the bikes you were thinking of buying and I hope that there not coming from North Bay?

I live in central CA, ride all those spots you mentioned and race HS in D36 and run a MXC 450 - Its great. The suspension is money, you dont have to fuss with all the lights and speedo's and the gearing is great... It takes about 1 day to get use to where in the gear box you are, but becuase it pretty close ratio (1-4 that is) you can get your self out of any issues with the slight help of some clutch... from what I can tell the MXC is the same gears as the SX plus the 5 and 6 similar to the exc. I run a SX tank on track days and a IMS 3 gallon for racing and trail days... the big 3.5G tank I kept for Prerunning BAJA. I run a 14-50 around here for trails of all kinds and can climb anything with that setup and if your looking to go real fast in the dez run a 14-48 or 46... you'll go too fast for your own good.

If I could do it again... i wouldn't change a thing.

Enjoy the MXC. the 525 is a bit grunty in the tight stuff... the 450 has plenty of BALZ especially at COW on those uphills.

I live in central CA, ride all those spots you mentioned and race HS in D36 and run a MXC 450 - Its great. The suspension is money, you dont have to fuss with all the lights and speedo's and the gearing is great... It takes about 1 day to get use to where in the gear box you are, but becuase it pretty close ratio (1-4 that is) you can get your self out of any issues with the slight help of some clutch... from what I can tell the MXC is the same gears as the SX plus the 5 and 6 similar to the exc. I run a SX tank on track days and a IMS 3 gallon for racing and trail days... the big 3.5G tank I kept for Prerunning BAJA. I run a 14-50 around here for trails of all kinds and can climb anything with that setup and if your looking to go real fast in the dez run a 14-48 or 46... you'll go too fast for your own good.

If I could do it again... i wouldn't change a thing.

Enjoy the MXC. the 525 is a bit grunty in the tight stuff... the 450 has plenty of BALZ especially at COW on those uphills.

This is good info. 😢 Thanks a lot. Keep it coming, I want the GOOD, BAD, and UGLY. 😢

I have a 2001 400/450 MXC - gearing 13-53

I bought it back in 01 and it's been the best bike I've ever owned. Stock the gearing was WAY to tall for the riding I do - all the above places and LOVE to ride single track - just ask my TT buddies 😢 - with my current gearing (which is 6-7 teeth lower than stock) I still don't run out of top speed - if I were going to go ride the dessert I put higher gearing on.

BUT

I don't know if I would buy a MXC or and EXC if I had it all to do again. Haven't had enough time on an EXC. 😢

dp

MXC 13/52 for the california stuff...14/50 for the Nevada stuff

I ride with a lot of both EXC and MXC owners. All sorts of stuff. Rocky technical stuff, singletrack, open desert, etc..... Rider ability adjusted, the MXC owners have no problem handling anything we cover. Most have adjusted their gearing, but that is all.