Sign in to follow this  

Cr vs. Yz

I know this question has probably been asked thousands of times but what really are the benifets of a cr 250f over a yz250f. I am I begginer rider. I am 6.1 160 pounds. I have a yz250f right now and I am considering switching sides and I wanted to know if there is any solid reason why I should.

The Honda has superior handling. The Yamaha has a little more in the motor department. Depending on what year Yammie you have, they are harder to start than the CRF. If you are a true beginner, you will appreciate the ease of starting a Honda. The Honda seems to have a little more maintainance issues. But in the end, you are in a Honda forum, so I say go RED.

Everything I've read says the Honda has more in the motor department. And I can't imagine a bike handling any better. So pretty much every aspect of the bike is better.

Honda definately does not have more in the motor department, and it is a bit more maintenance intensive than the blue bike. To me though, I can't use all the motor the CRF has so the handling has more of an impact on me than power. If you can't afford to maintain the bike in the case you eat a top end which unfortunately is more likely on a red bike than a blue one, I would suggest you stay with the blue. If you want the top notch corner speed and don't mind twice the oil changes and the possibility of the top end dying on you before it's time, it's a decent trade off. It all depends on the rider.

Honda definately does not have more in the motor department, and it is a bit more maintenance intensive than the blue bike. To me though, I can't use all the motor the CRF has so the handling has more of an impact on me than power. If you can't afford to maintain the bike in the case you eat a top end which unfortunately is more likely on a red bike than a blue one, I would suggest you stay with the blue. If you want the top notch corner speed and don't mind twice the oil changes and the possibility of the top end dying on you before it's time, it's a decent trade off. It all depends on the rider.

this man knows what he is talking about. That sums it up right there. 😢

I love both bikes. Ive ridden a CRF250 and yes it feels alot better than my 02 yz250F, Im sure an 05 yz250F feels alot better than my 02. But the CRF250 did lack a little in the motor department. It handles very well. slodsm pointed out a good thing, but $700+ or more is a big setback if you dont have the money for a new top end. Thats alot of suspension revalve and more on the YZf if you do blow a top end, if your concerned about handling.

a buddy of mine has a '04 yz250f and his valves went. He just brought it to the dealer to get it fixed yesterday. (ZERO clearance)

I told him, but he was just like NO, its just not getting enough gas... 😢

hehe

a buddy of mine has a '04 yz250f and his valves went. He just brought it to the dealer to get it fixed yesterday. (ZERO clearance)

I told him, but he was just like NO, its just not getting enough gas...

hehe

your either lying, he rides the bike a LOT, he doesnt maintain it, or he revs the shit out of it. ! 😢 get what ever bike you want... your not going to be a loser for riding a honda or a loser for riding a yamaha.

I own a 2003 YZ250F. I've modified the suspension and put a FMF pipe on it (Header and Power IV muffler). I've ridden back to back my bike, a 2004 and then 2005 CRF250 all in the same 20-30 mins. I can tell you, with out a doubt, the Honda is easier to ride, easier to go faster on, corners 100 TIMES better, feels lighter and is just much more fun. After doing this twice (ridding them back to back) I'm selling my YZF. Now, the YZ FEELS like it hits harder but it doesn't go faster! I've even done big doubles on the YZ and the Honda and had an easier time clearing them on the Honda though it doesn't FEEL like it's pulling as hard... I don't know what else to say. Would you like to buy my YZF?

P

I'm impressed with the replies here. I thought this would turn into a flame war.

I guess it's early..............

That's what I was thinking. Again, I've ridden both bikes fairly extensively but I haven't had to maintain a YZF. I honestly don't think maintenance on my CRF is bad at all. I change the oil religiously (which is REALLY easy to do), take care of my air filter and check the valves regularly. These things need to be done on any bike whether it's blue, red, purple, or fusia.

Whoever said $700+ dollars for a top-end rebuild must be stoned; either that or you're getting majorly ripped off. Do the work yourself and save tons of cash.

I don't mind the maintenance either, thats why I picked the red one (that and everything else in my garage is red) and I love the handling. Corner speed to me is the most important part of the ride, thats why I also ride a 600RR instead of a ZX6R, it has less power but is so much more stable in the turns it inspires the confidence to push it harder.

Throttlejockey, are you trying to stir the pot? You have some intelligent replies here. Enough to decide on which bike you want to choose from. What is this, "I guess its early" crap about. I am not going to slam any bike out there. I made a decision to buy the CRF because of its handling. You can have a Harley engine on your bike and have all the power you want, but if you can't harness all of the power into traction, what good does it do you. You may choose another bike for another reason, but in the end, it all comes down to what do you like in a bike and are you willing to sacrifice something to have it. A YZF is a great bike, I would take one in a heart beat, but my first choice was simply the CRF. Let us know which you choose and why.

Throttlejockey, are you trying to stir the pot?

Yea, that's me.

You haven't been here long enough to have a clue. If you read any of the posts comparing the 2 it always turn into a red VS blue flame war.

Um, another oiunt that i like about the Honda over te Yami besides handling is the tranny. I think Honda has a way nicer feeling gearbox.

All of the comparisons here are 04/05 Honda to the older Yami's. Any 05/05 comparisons?

From the posts I've read I would believe that the Honda as an overall package can lead to faster lap times for any given rider due to handling, power delivery, etc. In my case I don't race, and my skills would need to improve and I would need to lose 15 lbs off my waist before the color of the bike could possibly make a difference to my fun factor.

I'm not color blind, but until the P/Ns change on the Honda valve train or someone comes up with a plausible explanation for the 10% or so valve train issues with this bike I am sticking with Yamaha. Also, I've heard (but don't know first hand) that wrenching the Honda is much more difficult than the Yami.

I guess it comes down to what is important to you. For me, I am very busy with work and family and have don't have enough time to ride as it is, so having a reliable bike is high on the wish list.

your either lying, he rides the bike a LOT, he doesnt maintain it, or he revs the shit out of it. ! 😢 get what ever bike you want... your not going to be a loser for riding a honda or a loser for riding a yamaha.

Yeah i am lying...&%$#@! is wrong with people. No i am not lying or does the yami have magic dust sprayed on it so that it will have zero issues(because this one must of missed that part of production). just because you are close minded and brainwashed (if you have a brain) that yami can not fail does not mean you need to post your crap. 😢😢

I'm impressed with the replies here. I thought this would turn into a flame war.

I guess it's early..............

I hope it does not turn into one. I am just sick of dump people. work with them all day, i dont need to run into them here.

Also, I've heard (but don't know first hand) that wrenching the Honda is much more difficult than the Yami.

I think the only thing that is easier to do on a Yami is rejet the carb. But as far as motor goes I think the Honda is easier to work on, specially the top end due to the fact that the Honda only has 1 cam.....

I have a 03 YZF, a 04 CRF X and a 05 R. They are all great bikes with a few pros and cons.

YZF pros: the motor...it's fast and fun

reliability...it just runs

size....it's a big roomy bike

it's stable

it's very easy to work on(but I never have to work on it)

YZF cons:The motor...it can tire you out.

It's a big roomy bike( for small folks or tight situations...you feel it)

not the best cornering bike in the world...but not bad

feels heavier than it is

CRF R/X pros:the motor...it's smooth and easy to ride

overall handling....it is sweet

Turns well but is stable

size...it's small ( it works great in tight stuff)

It feels a LOT lighter than it is

CRF R/X cons:the motor...could use more low end and zip

Size...I had to put a tall seat /bars on it

Not the easiest to work on....and I've had to work on it more than I should( I can do valves and remove heads in my sleep).

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either bike. Go sit on each at a dealers. And which dealer is better in your area( although in the day of mail-order, that point can be moot)?And try to ride your friends bike.And if you still can't decide...go buy a Cannondale 😢