Sign in to follow this  

1st Time Valve Check...How'd I do?

OK, here's my clearances:

L R

Exhaust: .23 mm and .23mm

Intake: .16 mm and .11mm

Intake on right needs more gap...right? Ok, pulled intake cam, pulled tappet, found 292 shim. Went to local dealer for 285, was successful and got it free. I did have to pay for the new spark plug, but only $4.65 w/tax. How's this sound?

Ok, next, I've got 4200 miles on my bike, the ACCT had 4 clicks left on it, how much longer should I run it before replacing the cam chain, and putting on the MCCT?

I'm so glad I did this myself, now I have no quams about putting in the HotCams!!! Just gotta save the $$$ to pay for them. I figure I'll put them in the same time I put on the new cam chain and MCCT! 😢

So, is there anything I've missed or should check while the valve cover is off?

Thanks in advance, oh DRZ Gods! 😢

This wrenchin' stuff is cool! I learned soooo much last night!

Both EX valves could have been opened up a bit,, but should be fine. .16 is about right, and the best your gona get unless you can find some 1/2 size shims., so again,, good enough. 😢

If you close to maxing out the adjustment on your ACCT,, I'd be looking to replace the chain soon.

Thanks Bronco! Two more Q's for you:

1. Since I didn't look at my exhaust shims to see what they were, is there any performance gain to be seen if they are swapped to get to the higher clearance?

2. Is a 292 shim # weird? Or do manufacturers generally have shim sizes in the thousanths? reason I ask is they seem to only be sold in increments of 5 thousanths.

Thanks!

So, is there anything I've missed or should check while the valve cover is off

I would check to see what shim is in your exhaust tappets, that way you know.

Be sure you put the cam cap fasteners in there correct places, and be sure that your timing is correct.

When I did mine after I pulled the ACCT my crank moved and put me off TDC, I would just double check that before you close it up.

Rock on! Will do, and THANKS!!! You Rock!!! 😢

Doing a Leak-down tonight, after I get'er buttoned back up, I hope I won't be asking where to buy a 440 kit tomorrow! 😢