Sign in to follow this  

Keep the XR?

I came off an XR440 to a CRF450.

Is the CRF more to maintain? yes

Is it more expensive to set up for woods? yes

Is it worth it? HELL YES

The total package is awesome (brakes, ergos, suspension, frame).

These bikes are so different how can anyone here offer an opinion with a hill of beans without a LOT more information? Impossible. Where and how do you ride? Are you handy with mechanical stuff and do you like wrenching? Experienced or new rider?

Sorry, I did not know we had to meet requirements to offer our solicited opinion.

No requirements whatsoever. Just pointing out that these replies, without any information from the person asking for input, only reflect what you would like.

I thought our responses rated atleast the value of a HILL OF BEANS. Even yours!

Hey guys dont get testy.................... were only talking about XRs here, not top fueler's 😢

😢👍:cheers:😢😢😢😢🤣:D🤣:D:D:D😉😉😉:D😉😉😉:D:D:D😉😉😉:(:(:(:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D😉😉😉😉🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄

:smashpc:

:D:D:D:D👍👍👍👍👍

alright. i mostly ride open/sometimes tight trails, but i want to get into some racing, or at least track riding. thanks again

alright. i mostly ride open/sometimes tight trails, but i want to get into some racing, or at least track riding. thanks again

That would be a pretty broad demand from one machine. Better keep the XR AND buy a race bike, or focus your priorities.

Hill of beans! I love beans! They make my bike go faster!!!

Hill of beans! I love beans! They make my bike go faster!!!

Yes, but do you grasp the value of a hill of beans? ...and of course these would be uncooked.

ok, well seeing i dont have 6 grand lying around my house..... keeping my XR and getting a newer bike is basically out of the question. i was kinda planning on if i ever got a new bike, to sell the XR to help pay for the new one.

Hey bro, it's kinda like comparing apples and oranges. If you are looking into track style racing, then the 450 is yer tater!! Too bad you can't afford to keep the XR though, it's nice to have a quiver available, sorta like having two girlfriends that are miles apart in style, function and appearance. Good luck. Just as a point of note, my bro-in-law has the CRF450 and I have the XR400, I have ridden his bike and it is friggin' FAST and handles totally diff from my XR. Again, good luck.

anyone have any opinions on whether i should keep my '99 XR 250 or get a newer CRF 450? thanks

Going from an XR250 to a CRF450 is quite a jump in performance potential. You may be prepared to make the step to a 450, but even a lot of highly experienced riders prefer the CRF250R because it is easier to man-handle. You may even want to considered the CRF250X. The X can be track worthy (certainly it's no R) and it is a fantastic trail bike out of the box. It would be a gigantic step up from a stock XR250 (electric starter, awesome suspension, significantly more power..........). I'm not trying to disuade you from the 450, it's a heck of a bike (in fact in stock form it's far more bike than all but a very few can use to the fullest) but maybe a slightly smaller step in that direction is something to consider. When considering any of these new bikes, be forewarned that they are not XR's. You need to have the mind set that valves, springs and pistons are consumable items. Monitor and replace them when necessary (2,000+ miles with moderate use) and have a ball in between.