Sign in to follow this  

Poll - Does your Chain Chew?

Just wanted to collect some data on chains "chewing on the frame." It has been said that the CRF's (02,03,04) were flawed in their design and that caused the chain to "chew on the frame." I have heard of chains rubbing through the chain slider and onto the swingarm. I have also heard of the chain wacking the mud flap and the tire. But never "chewing on the frame."

So go out to your garage and check to see if your chain is chewing on the frame.

Hopefully this will end a pissing contest inadvertently started in another post. Plus, it gives all of you a chance to get on your knees and 😢😢 to the greatest bike ever made, the mighty CRF450!

PS- Remember, play nice! 😢

The stock chain will chew the frame or if you run your chain too loose.

You already know my answer.

Also, a non o-ring chain has a lot of side to side play.

2002 450 with 200+ hours....no chewy here!😢

2005 450 with 2 hours...no chewy here either! 😢

I have an '03 that is just about 2 yrs old (Feb '05) and I just replaced the slider, rear chain guide and bottom chain roller (just for the heck of it) and nothing was worn out at all (I keep them as spares). The mudflap will get a little chewed if you do a lot of jumping and landing it slightly sideways (I haven't perfected the whip quit yet). I have worn out an Ironman front sprocket in 6 months though!!! (The Fl sand just loves them)

Don 😢

I kinda think your beating a dead horse... but here ya go:

Yes. But nothing major. It is indeed from my chain being too loose. But my 02 seems to stretch the chain fast. Stock was ridiculous.... BUT, my quasi expensive DID(i think it's that brand??) still stretches too fast for my liking. I get all the symptons above(mud flap, tire, etc)

You have to really cock your head in there and look for it. It's on the inside of the frame. Look closely. You may be surprised.

FYI: I don't run an O-ring chain.

PS. why didn't you make the thread a true poll

Yes - my 04 (200 plus hours) worn thru the swing arm chain slider in the lower portion right behind the sproket. I attribute this to be a heavy wear point as the tire sucks up into the rear fender running the chain at a 45 degree angle across the swing arm chain slider. I noticed the new slider i bought has a larger area now than when new, so i guess Honda recognized the problem and modified the slider. Mine had rbbed all the way thru and was metal to metal.

Yes - my O-Ring chain did rub and eat up the mud flap until i took a pair of shears and cut a half moon section out of it. now its all good.

Yeh, I know. I was just trying to have a little fun with the topic and maybe at the same time get some info. Plus I'm a bit old school here and haven't spent much time looking at all the upgrades, like real polls.

Now I don't mind if the chain chews, I just hate it when the chain spits what it's been chewing. And if I had it my way, no chain would chew, they'd all just smoke. I ain't a smokeless kind a guy!

dirthead1,

I noticed in a lot of your posts that you constantly call people names. I guess that means you are the real dork. You must be one of those guys that was born angry. You must think it manly to be gruff. A real man can stand up to a lot more than you have gotten here and still avoid calling people names. This poll offers up an opportunity to get things back on a good level. If I am wrong, I'll say so. That's what real men do. If you're wrong you'll call someone names. That's so Jr. Hi.

Thanks for participating in the poll.

So, your a psychologist too. Must be cool being such a jack-of-all trades. Thanks for breaking it down for me. Your opinion certainly matters! Again you're totally wrong. Once I called someone a clown and now you a dork, hardly "most" of my posts. Seems you are adept at doing the same. People in glass houses...

This is like fishing in a bowl. As soon as I throw a hook in, you're on the line. You're right, I was wrong - about Jr. Hi. You sound more like preschool.

I have had 3 chasses 2002 and two 03's and 2 of them had chain chew on the side of the frame nothing major just annoying. I run my chain a little loose because one time I broke the cases from a tight chain. I only run oring chains, the 05 has been fixed. The 2002 - 2004 had a few issues!