Sign in to follow this  

Broke cfc case shields

I had a tip over in my garage last night while I was eating dinner. I guess my side stand wasn't fully extended and the thing just gradually fell over. The thing thats important is that on a drop like this, the shifter punched through the cfc case shield like it wasn't there and broke my magneto case.

I've not been riding dirt too long and have had quite a few drops so far. None of those even came close to denting the shields, never mind the case, so I was happy with their performance. I'm guessing that it was the drop onto concrete that gave the shift lever so much more force.

I sent an email off to Tom at CFC this morning asking about either thicker shields or shields of stronger material, but he hasn't gotten back with me yet. Just be carefull while on hard surfaces, because the lever could still break through and damage the case.

I had a tip over in my garage last night while I was eating dinner. I guess my side stand wasn't fully extended and the thing just gradually fell over. The thing thats important is that on a drop like this, the shifter punched through the cfc case shield like it wasn't there and broke my magneto case.

I've not been riding dirt too long and have had quite a few drops so far. None of those even came close to denting the shields, never mind the case, so I was happy with their performance. I'm guessing that it was the drop onto concrete that gave the shift lever so much more force.

I sent an email off to Tom at CFC this morning asking about either thicker shields or shields of stronger material, but he hasn't gotten back with me yet. Just be carefull while on hard surfaces, because the lever could still break through and damage the case.

Did you round over the back side of the shifter?

From what I under stand

The CFC really do such a good job because the help to spread out the force of any impact that the side case should take, 😢 so if I apply copious 😢 amounts of RVT when putting them it should help cut down and the force that ends up hitting my bike right?

It sounds like yous was brittle and cracked 😢

Would it be possible to flame the cfc to make them a little softer 😢

While the case shields do a pretty good job, nothing is 100% effective. As stated above, did you file off the sharp point on the back of the shifter? You can fix the cover with JB Weld a lot cheaper than a new one.

The CFC guards are the best solution going for DRZ side case protection.

That said,, anything can be broken.

The CFC cover can deflect enough to allow the case underneath crack..

It's all about weight. I can build a guard that will keep the side case safe, no matter what you throw at it.... But it would weigh more then what is acceptable. CFC has made a cover that is both light weight, easy to install, and provide a large amount of protection,, at an affordable cost.

Oh, that sucks! Like Burned mentioned to me when I busted my mag case, check the stator for damage. Probably nothing happened to it, but it will double the cost to repair if it did break.

No I wasn't aware of the need to file the back of the shifter. I'll be doing that asap.

I talked with Tom from CFC via email and he basically said the same thing. The worst damage comes from a tipover an a hard surface with no fwd momentum where the shifter dosen't fold.

I don't think my case can be repaired, so I got a new one from Ron Ayers for a good bit less than my local dealer. DFXXX, I hope my stator is good. (fingers crossed)

Anyone, is there some trick to getting the mag case off? Mine seems to be stuck on the starter motor somehow.

When you remove the round starter cover plate 3 screws with impact driver, there is an 8mm hed bolt deep in that hole , holding the case.

I got that bolt. It still seems to be stuck in that area. It there a seal that you have to pry out or something? My next move looks to be removing the 2 bolts on the starter motor cover.

My next move looks to be removing the 2 bolts on the starter motor cover.

__

There is an oring where that case slides over the starter. But if you thinking of removing two vertical bolts on the starter, it's not needed. The stator also has pretty strong magnetic pull. If you have all the cover bolts out including the one behind the starter gear mech deep inside the cavity.

I just took a rubber hammer and gently tapped the cover in that starter area, there is an oring seal there to break loose.

Same thing happend to me click here . The suzuki cases flat out suck. I have a old KTM that I beat half to death and never broke a side case. Maybe that's why I'm getting the bug for a new EXC two smoke.

Every model has it's flaws,, only those unwilling to see them claim otherwise.

under 5 minutes to round off the back side of the shifter.. Sorry, just does not seem like a big deal 😢 If that drives you to another bike 😢 Sounds like a good deal on a used DRZ for another rider is on the way 😢

I run the CFC cases savers and then installed the old style Baja Designs covers over that on both sides. I experienced the same thing when I was running just the BD guards. It'll take a hit now with both on there.

My mag cover seemed stuck on there too when I replaced mine. It seemed the stator was especially attracted to the magneto by magnitism. I had to wrestle it like an SOB but it came off. Just watch when putting it back on that you don't pinch your fingers.

Every model has it's flaws,, only those unwilling to see them claim otherwise.

under 5 minutes to round off the back side of the shifter.. Sorry, just does not seem like a big deal 😢 If that drives you to another bike 😢 Sounds like a good deal on a used DRZ for another rider is on the way 😢

NO deal here, I would keep the DRZ for dual sporting. I like the EXC's for the back country single track stuff. That 75 extra pounds can get heavy if your packing it over a down tree.

yeah... i think this has happened to alot of us...

it sucks you didn't see any of the posts about filing off the sharp edge on the shifter its one of the easiest mods...(who the heck knows why suzuki makes it that way)

I got a little list i did to might bike to help protect it.. basically all my mods I've done so far.....maybe it will give you some ideas

http://panaman.org/drzstuff.php