Sign in to follow this  

Massive weight loss

I've been busy today!

I'm carving kilos from the DRZ-S at the moment. Everything unnnecessary or overweight is getting removed or replaced. This week I got rid of the cooling fan (never came on anyway), helmet lock and the license plate holder/mudguard/back light.

Today I stripped the bike of all its plastics....

DSC00003.jpg

....and applied my new graphics - she looks sweet!

DSC00010.jpg

I've replaced the rear light/license plate holder with an Acerbis LED rear light and a smaller (therefore....er....illegal) UK license plate! 😢 The turn signals (or indicators in the UK) are LED units. The whole lot works well and is much leaner and lighter! 😢

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

Cheers

Ian

If you really wanna see someone that has gone all out in reducing weight on a DRZ "S" go here http://dr-z400s.com/

It's mostly in Chinese but has lots of pictures...So far he has reduced the weight by 12.4485 kilos which works out to 27.2867 pounds!!!

But it involves alot more than most are willing to do or spend...

bultaco370- "get a aftermarket exhaust it will save some weight. and replace headlight with an aftermarket light!"

what are the best lights for:

A) saving weight

😢 performance - how bright?

C) Looks

Thanks

I'm in the UK so it's not too warm here now, hence I can get rid of the fan. I'll review the situation as the summer comes but I think the reason the S has a fan and the E doesn't is that the S will most likely sit in traffic.

The original rear light/license plate array for the S isn't that heavy on its own but has the ability to hold a LOT of mud. I could barely drag the bike to its wheels after I fell off on a very muddy lane last week. But I have a box with all the bits I've removed and the whole lot weighs maybe four kilos. That helmet lock was very heavy for such a small item!

FYI I emptied the fuel tank and the steel tank is amazingly light - probably little more than the plastic tank. The locking fuel cap is heavy on the S, though! 😢

The stock pipe will go in time but the cost is out of my league this close to christmas. I'll have to buy the full pipe, dynojet kit and airfilter and do the 3x3 at the same time. All up cost of this is close to 400GBP!

The graphics, if anybody's interested, are made by http://www.cemoto.it and are available direct or from Race Spec in the UK at 38 GBP. Not bad considering you get tank and shroud graphics AND the rear fender top and side decals.

Cheers

Ian

The turn signals (or indicators in the UK) are LED units.

Why not bin all the indicators too ????

😢

If you really wanna see someone that has gone all out in reducing weight on a DRZ "S" go here http://dr-z400s.com/

It's mostly in Chinese but has lots of pictures...So far he has reduced the weight by 12.4485 kilos which works out to 27.2867 pounds!!!

actually that's japanese, but what's the difference, i can't read either. cool site though!

😢

Why not bin all the indicators too ????

😢

The plan is to get motard wheels for the DRZ-S and use it to ride to work. I want to keep the CV carb but dynojet it and fit a pipe. Then, later next year, I want to buy a used E and transfer all of the off-road stuff to it (guards, etc) and have a DRZ-E for the trails and a DRZ-S SM for the road.

So there's method in the madness.

Ian

actually that's japanese, but what's the difference, i can't read either. cool site though!

😢

Ya beat me to it. I can read the Katakana and some Hiragana.

The removal of the base gasket had me --> 😢

😢 This was post by me for the first time 😢

0.5gr by Oil filter cover polish 😢

The plan is to get motard wheels for the DRZ-S and use it to ride to work. I want to keep the CV carb but dynojet it and fit a pipe. Then, later next year, I want to buy a used E and transfer all of the off-road stuff to it (guards, etc) and have a DRZ-E for the trails and a DRZ-S SM for the road.

So there's method in the madness.

Ian

I'm really curious to hear how well those SM bikes do on the road compared to a standard S or E modded to be street legal. I ask because I was really surprised at how little disadvantaged my KLR was when I switched from road tires to DOT legal knobbies.

I understand that many folks like the look of a SM, and some are buying that style bike as a road only, but I do wonder if they are getting much of an advantage over existing tech an a dual purpose bike like the DRZ standards.

😢

Ha!! Yeah I realized that after I posted it... 😢

By the site you can see that some of the stuff that people say loses alot

really doesn't do that much ... Like the headlight saved only just over a pound...

But if you're able to swap to a small battery that saves 3 times that weight...

So he's got almost 30 pounds knocked off the thing...That's serious weight reduction...But quite a bit of work to do it...

I wonder if Zook makes equal number different colored DRZ's. We have two local dealers and I don't ever remember seeing a blue one. They are all yellow. Maybe it's a regional thing too.