Sign in to follow this  

CRF50 - XL70 ignition change

I am in the process of building up a manual clutch 4 spd XL 70 bottom end, 88 kit, and ported 70cc head. I am in need of an ignition solution becuase this bottom end had points. The motor is going in my CRF50 and would like to use the ignition system/stator backing plate off the 50 on this older bottom end. Will it fit? IF not what should I use?

Thnx

You'll need to install an XR/CRF50 crank assembly, in order to use the XR stator/flywheel. DrATV sells a complete XR50 crank assembly with bearings, cam chain drive sprocket, and clutch bushing installed, for 50 to 75 dollars, complete. There is a small section of the left side case that needs to be removed, in order for the stator pickup to seat properly. And lastly, you'll have to use an XR50 side cover, as the XR crank is 3/8" wider on the left side, than the stock crank is.

Remember also, you'll need an XR50 wiring harness and CDI box, as it is now a 12 volt system.

I converted a ' 77 Z50 engine over to CDI, and used the XR50 cylinder, piston & rings, head, cam, and cam chain. All done with stock parts purchased on eBay, by the way. It runs like a champ... 😢😢