Sign in to follow this  

Bike Haulers for SUV

I am in the market for a bike hauler for a SUV. The only problem I am having is, mine has the spare tire mounted on the lift gate, so I am curious about clearance issues. Has anybody ran into the same issue or know somebody who has? What is the best one out there? Thanks!!

Does anyone know if they make one that will allow you to still tow a trailer. I would like to have my bike on the back of my motorhome and pull my boat at the same time.

I checked out the site, but no info on clearance..I have looked at about everybodys site, but none have that little piece of valuable info...

Talk to the guy who makes the MotoJack Rack. I seem to recall that he can make the racks tailored to the vehicle receiver height. I would bet that he could make one that could be extended out co clear your spare tire.

http://www.motojackrack.com/

Don't forget the farther out it is mounted the more leverage that will be applied to your hitch assembly. Could end up with a huge problem if you have to go out too far. MIKE

I used a standard JoeHauler on my Land Rover Discovery with no issues. It does have the spare mounted on the gate. Didn't stick out much further than the bumper. Only issue was the wheels almost covered my brake lights!

Here's one for sale cheap! Link to MotoJack Rack

I have a trooper with a rear tire on the back and use my Joe Hauler 3 days/week. I put almost 600 miles a week on it and have no problems whatsoever.

I don't like the moto-jack/mx haulers that much. Too many mechanical doo-hickeys. The joe hauler is simple, very sturdy and doesn't sway.

I highly recommend it.

I'll add on to the Joe Hauler... Also, call him up and he'll tweak or customize it as needed. You should see the rack he built for the back of my parents coach for their Harley!!!

Here is the problem with a rear mounted tire, the bike might have to be mounted far from the truck. I have built two racks.

The first one was far from the back of my Suburban and I could really feel the weight when cornering. My XR400 hung way out back really made a difference.

My second rack was built so the bike was closer to the tailgate. Not nearly as noticable. On the other hand, there are 2 bike racks and quad racks.

Where do you live? You might live near a ThumperTalk member that can help you check out how it works on your truck.

Anyone know if a Ford Escape (or similar small SUV) can handle a hitch (JoeHauler) type carrier? Does the tongue weight have enough capacity?

Thanks,

Scott

Talk to the guy who makes the MotoJack Rack. I seem to recall that he can make the racks tailored to the vehicle receiver height. I would bet that he could make one that could be extended out co clear your spare tire.

http://www.motojackrack.com/

I have that product !. That can extend it out, may want to buy the heavy duty version. Some people like ultimatemxhauler too. I doubt you will be able to do both due to limitations on hitch weight capacity.

I've got a joe hauler you could try out... I'm in Parker right now for another week and then moving to Prescott. If you're ever in the area or up for a ride get in touch with me and we can see if it will clear your spare tire.

Call Joe, I used to ride with him. Really nice guy and can probably answer all your questions about tongue weights...