Sign in to follow this  

service intervals?

I test rode a 250X and loved it, but reading the last 18 pages of this thread has left me scared off from buying the bike. I wonder if anybody is happy with the way their bike has held up? My closest dealer is a 4 hour round trip away, so servicing the valves is going to be a hassle. Do you ID what shims you have and order a bag of smaller sizes so you aren't down for days waiting on UPS? Can I get 10 to 15 hours per oil change? How regularly do you check and have to adjust the valves, 20 to 30 hours? What else has required surprisingly frequent service, or given you trouble? This bike really seems to do everything right, but do you spend as much time in the shop as in the saddle? I trail ride, and am easy on my equipment. Would you buy this bike again?

As of yet, 30 hours on the bike and no touching the valves. I have checked them twice and I will do them again before the next race but at the moment, all seems perfect. I do not ride it easy and it has seen the limiter many times be it down a straight I don't want to shift for because the corner is right there or trying to correct a bad launch in the air. The bike has held up great and I can't ask for more. The oil is changed every 2 weeks so probably 8 hours or so between changes. It could probably go a lot longer but I prefer to play it safe with 5700 ish of my money you know?

Get the X. I have raced a number of hare scrambles, rode on a lot of trails, and hit the moto track a number of times. My valves a spot on and I have no oil burning issues. The X is the best bike i have ever owned by far the suspension is the best and it has very good power. (remember to jet it, it is lean stock!)

I picked up my 250X back in June and have about 1000 miles on it with no problems. This bike is light weight, very nimble, and a blast to ride on the single track -- feels like a mt. bike on steriods. It didn't win "bike of the year" for nuttin'. 😢😢 for the 250X.

I'm not a racer and stick to the non-competition maintenance schedule. I don't spend any more time tinkering on this bike than I did with my XR400. Check the oil and valves occasionally, lube the chain, and have fun.

DITTO for ours. Hey foty, you drinkin again? Mike in Modesto Hey foty, I found it 😢😢

😢😢

Hey thanks for all the good news. This site really needs to hear from the owners that are lovin' their CRF250's. Yeah it's a great place to share problems and solutions, and I've learned a lot, but after reading a dozen pages of valve problems I was really wondering if it deserved all the praise from the magazines. So it really is THAT GREAT of a bike?

yeah man, i cant even tell ya. you would just have to ride/race one.

my times go A LOT faster once i got the bike...i always thought well its more the rider than the bike something like 20% bike 80% rider...now i can see it is more like 50/50. I can do things on that bike that no other bike let me. its once again the best bike i have owned...

i have owned a KTM, Yam, Kawi, and other hondas...the 250x is the best by far it is just a total package!

I am a east coast rider, lots of tight trails...

never rode it out west in the sand open trails, the valve issue seems to happen when you are hitting the rev limiter a lot for a long time. (my opinion) and damn it people dont make this a valve thread...heheh 😢

I'm an east coast rider also and have about 600 miles on mine with no problems.It is the best handling bike I have ever owned....it is sweet!!!Please Mike do not ruin this thread with a post. 😢 :cry:

hey , I hope all these things that people are writing about this bike wont scare u off ,,,I bought this bike after test riding my buds ,,,I was hooked,,,I have about 500 miles on this bike and this thing is awsome ,,, NO problems ,,, well maybe One spokes come loose at rear wheel,,,valves NO problems...I too have read endless articles about this VALVE issue ,,,so i called Pro Circut and asked them about this kibble white titanium valve ,,,,and what he knows about this issue,,,this is what i found out Valves are $170 each,,Your gonna need two,,,I then told them that Im only a weekend warrior ,,maybe average 40 to 50 miles every other week-end,,,he said these guys that are having this problem ride 3 times a week minimum,,,I would say that is most likley some hard ass track riding with alot of hard riding ,,,maitence may be not as good ,,, I will say it does seem some people may have some problems,,,,and and it may not from excessive riding ,,,I will say ,,,there are tell-tell signs or noises coming from YOUR engine Area that will let u know that there is a problem,,,MY bike is awsome ,,,there arnt woops ,,,that im scared of 5th gear pinned ,,,bike pulls forever ,,handles great ,,looks good and u cant beat that magic button,,,I LOVE my bike ,,,44 miles to the gallon,,, 15 on reserve green sticker legeal,,odometer ...kickstand ,,,I have read all the bullshit and i still love this bike ,,,mdeleon fresno ca ,,, 😢😢

well this is such a nice 'smiley, happy people' thread that i'm not going to tell you my experience with the CRFX valves...

to answer you question--2 strokes are more reliable and less maintenance than 4--maintenance intervals are about the same imho.

if you like the way the CRFX handles....try a EXC200!!!!!!!!!!