Sign in to follow this  

klx110 4th gear swap

has anyone changed from a 3-speed to a 4-speed using the tranny drum that 2 bros. offers 😢 . what does it take to do this and how hard is it to do? also i need a front hub or a 12" front wheel for my 04 klx110 😢 .

thanks,

jm

JM, The 4th gear drum instalation requires you to split the cases. Once you do this you simply replace the old 3rd gear with the 4th gear drum 😢 All the gears are allready in there, since these motors are also used in scooters in Japan. As far as a 12" rim I have a set of 12" Exel motard wheels front & rear laced up with good tires & ready to bolt on & ride for sale 😢 (Ihave since swiched to KX65 forks & Big Mini's swingarm & wheel set up. I have already promised them to another TT member. If he does not buy them I will sell them to you. "He has not got back to me" The cost is $500.00 - shipping Let me know if your interested!!

thanks for the help. can you do $400 w/shipping on the wheels 😢 ? i am very interested in them just a little strapped for cash.

thanks,

jm

😢

Dachop, No I can't except $400.00 for them! You allready offered me $300.00 for them,"remember" I will take $500.00 + shipping. Remember these are gently used front & rear silver Exel 12" rims, big spokes, stock hubs with Pirrelli tires on them 😢😢 I used them very little befor my switch to KX65 forks and Big Mini's swingarm & rear wheel Wdisc. So they are in awsome condition 😢 Thanx BJ

sorry. to rich for my blood. this is my play toy. i did not want to dump that much money in it. i have to save my money for next season on my 04' kawi 636. good luck selling them.

thanks,

jm

😢

so back to the 4th gear...... i got my motor out and my top end off. what has to be taken off to split the cases? both clutches? flywheel? piston? id like to take off as little as possible

everything needs to come off. Flywheel, all the clutch components on the kickstart side and cylinder/head obviously. If you are in there you might as well put in a hd output shaft, shift star and think about having the flywheel lightened.

i got the top end off. i read that the piston needs to come off but i dont think it does.. any1 know for sure? i also got the 2 clutches off as well as the flywheel. whats next before splitting? i got all the case bolts out too. i think its just small stuff now like the oil pump and kick start shaft? does any1 have pics of a lightened fltywheel? and about the output shaft, its a 2008, i heard 2007 and before need to be replaced? should i still do that?

I think you can leave the piston on the crank just be careful not to damage the rings. It takes 2 minutes to take the piston off-better safe than sorry. Get that oil pump off and make sure all the bolts are off and start to splittin. I believe 08's did have the updated output shaft so you should be ok.

tonight i got the cases split like half a millimeter, so they are no longer "stuck" together. but, i cannot get them any further as of now. i dont think i really need the puller at this point, im just wondering if the manual is forgetting something. it seems like its pivoting over the middle

finally got em split. it was hard because the crank bearing didnt want to come out of one side. i had to pull off a case evenly and slowly... took 2 hours without the splitter... i now recommend it lol

alright!!! :ride:

I would throw in a CHP hardend 2nd gear while your in there

alright!!! :ride:

I would throw in a CHP hardend 2nd gear while your in there

whats the point of that? is the one in there no good?

heres 2 pics of my cases once apart

gearsononeside.jpg

emptyside.jpg

--upon further inspection, i noticed 2 cavities filled with what looks like car wax... i think its watery oil... its all stuck in one spot... i should just clean this out right? anybody know what its from?

--also, i noticed my piston has a few chunks taken out of one side... the bike ran great though... does this matter in 4 strokes since its not piston port? should i sand it smooth?

--and also, the crank rdd is discolored as u can see in the pic. is this normal? is it because of the piston cracks?

DSCI0082.jpg

DSCI0089.jpg

wonder why the rod changes color at the crank end.  Heat from combustion or possibly heat treating from manufacturing?  Most con rods do not have discoloration like that, from what Ive seen anyway.