Sign in to follow this  

How about octane boosters?

My owners manual for my 05 WR250 recommends 95 or higher octane unleaded gas. Problem is, around here 93 is as high you can get. Has anyone tried using octane boosters like you can buy in an auto parts store? Will it hurt anything in my engine? I've tried standard 93 octane premium gas, but I get some spark ping.

Yes, new owner. Thanks. I suspected that pump gas is probably OK (and have noted that in your faq), but when the engine is under a heavy load, I hear the pinging sound like it needs a little higher octane. Was just curious about the octane booster products, or whether it would be better to just live with the pinging noise? There's no race gas to be found around here!

ok, these bikes are made in japan. there octane level is differnt then ours. so there 95 octane is like or 91 octane. so pump gas is fine

i know a guy with a yz125 and after he mixes he gas/oil he pours some octane booster in it. im not sure how much, but i know he does it and his bike runs great. he dosn't ride very much, and it always starts 2-3 kick 😢

I heard that it eats away at ur gastank because its soo strong or somthing like that. its probably a lie but....

Try running a 1/2 gallon of toluene and the rest 92 or 93 premium pump gas. It will raise the octane to around 98, and will make more power as well. It wont melt the tires in a holeshot level of increase but it is more and easily felt.

What exactly is toluene ? And where can I find it at? Is it safe ? do you run it?

just curious I heard a little bit about it just never got a chance to ask.

Yeah that toluene destroys the rubber parts in the carb to, not saying that that it does not make a good running fuel. We used to mix it years ago when we were drag racing and to poor buy good racing gas.