Sign in to follow this  

What is drippin from my air box

I have a crf250r and there seems to be some sort of substance dripping from my air box, i think it might be oil but i dont know. 😢 I clean it up after every ride and it seems to still come back. i checked my air filter and it didnt seemed to be over lubed so i dont think it was that. Is this normal or could there be something wrong? I appreciate any help and feedback. 😢

Most likely it's air filter oil.

I thought I lubed my filter and dried it out enough, but I kept having a small green puddle where I parked my bike.

I changed the air filter, and noticed that the oil had seeped to the bottom of the filter. I'm never using Uni spray oil again. It seems the solvent doesn't evaporate.

I would suggest letting your freshly cleaned/oiled filter sit out for a couple of days before installing it. Then the oil you use will have time to gum up.

Its not air filter oil. It is engine oil, its called blow-by and it spits oil from the engine up the inside of your airbox. Take off your air filter and you will notice alot of engine oil gummed up in the corner of your air filter(on the inside of filter). Check your overflow tube underneath the carb, its probably full which is why this is happening.

Yeah, that happened to me this past ride. I noticed that the crankcase breather was full of oil, and i noticed and oily residue on the swingarm, even after powerwashing the bike, so i knew it wasnt any kind of dirt or grime. I just drained the crankcase breather, cleaned my airbox, and wiped down the swingarm.

P.S : The day before the ride, when i went to start my bike to warm it up and to check the engine oil level, the motor blew-back twice! I got a little nervous, but it ran fine afterwards. Would this have caused the oil to leak into the airbox?

what causes crap to get in the overflow tube?

I emptied mine out the other day.

just curious...thanks

My bike has been acting weird lately to, its been hard to start when its hott and it takes a while to start it up when cold. Could the oil be a reason for that? Is the overflow tube the little orangish tube that has a plug at the end and its on the left side?

My bike has been acting weird lately to, its been hard to start when its hott and it takes a while to start it up when cold. Could the oil be a reason for that? Is the overflow tube the little orangish tube that has a plug at the end and its on the left side?

yup thats it. unclamp it and take the plug out and drain the junk. the bike will start easy once again.

OOOOO very nice im all excited now cause i was starting to get pissed cause it was taking forever to start. I love these message boards, there are some very imformative people on here. I dont know too much about bikes but im starting to learn, im a new rider. Thank you all for you help i appreciate it 😢😢😢😢

one thing i did forget to mention is temp. if it is cold out the bike starts hard. there are ways to fix that...there is a thread floating around that talks about cold weather starting.

Ya its not too cold here it should start easy but the oil crap was the problem, i know this cause my dads 250x starts right up but not mine so i was wondering if there was something wrong with mine. Thanx again and ya i read that post on the cold starting, too much work i choose to kick it a few more time. 😢😢 HAHAHA

You can also due what most pro riders do as well as others that no.There is a hose with a tee fitting near your valve cover for a breather tube which is also where blow by is released.take that tee out install a straight fitting and run a hose down near your carb vent hoses,be sure not to come out on the brake side make sure you come out on the chain side. And then remove the hose frome your airbox and cap or plug the fitting.You will see this set up on most every race/factory bike and it works well.

Another thing that can happen, last weekend I was riding up a steep hill climb and dumped it, the bike was lying on it's side with the top of the bike facing down. Some oil traveled through that crankcase breather and into my filter, there must have been a good 100cc of oil in the airbox, and it made it's way into the carb. My bike was smoking like a 2 stroke for a while. If you drop your bike in a situation like this pick it up asap, there is not enough oil in these bikes to afford any loss.

what causes crap to get in the overflow tube?

I emptied mine out the other day.

just curious...thanks

From what I've read, it's caused by too much oil in the crank case. I fill mine to just about 1/8 in. below the full mark. Haven't had a problem yet. And I always check the oil before I ride.

Might be something else, I'm still new to the thumpers.

From what I've heard it is caused by oil getting passed the ring on the piston, I guess its pretty common on crf's so its really nothing to worry about, pro's bikes have extended overflow tubes, just empty the overflow tube after every ride, or at least check it.

How do you empty that tube - does the cap pull off or screw off - I've tried to get mine off and have had trouble.

From what I've read, it's caused by too much oil in the crank case. I fill mine to just about 1/8 in. below the full mark. Haven't had a problem yet. And I always check the oil before I ride.

Might be something else, I'm still new to the thumpers.

A majority of it can come from when the bike is tipped over. Have you taken any spills lately? 😢

How do you empty that tube - does the cap pull off or screw off - I've tried to get mine off and have had trouble.

there is a black clamp on the hose, near the end and over lapping the plug. you will need something like a needle nose to squeeze it and move it up the tube off of the plug. once that is done then just twist back and forth and pull the plug out of the tube