Sign in to follow this  

100 mile race

this will be my first hairscramble its 100 mile . its in nh. i will be riding my crf 230. what are some thing i should do to my bike. i already have skid plate. what would come in handy

Both of above also it would be a good idea to give the bike a good "once over" check oil filter clutch possibly lube suspension pivot points, re tourque any bolts that you can, adjust valves, get HD tubes in your tires,

Lube cables,

Basicly if you give the bike a relly througho maintnence and then ride it a bit to make sure that you have done everything correctly it is less likely that you will have mechanical problems

Spare tubes!!!!! And all the tools you will need to change them on the trail. I've blown the fron tube 6 miles into a 100 mile poker run. I found out it was blown at about 46 miles. I had to ride it like that for the rest of the race. I was wondering why my handling was poor and it was washingout in the turns. But it did not stop me from going full bore. But it did F$$K up my rim.

Well be mentally ready for a 100 mile race. I don't know what type of terrain your going to encounter (sp?), but if it's rocks then just be ready for them. EAT RIGHT, AND DRINK LOTS OF WATER A COUPLE DAYS BEFORE THE RACE...REMEMBER THAT'S YOUR BODIES FUEL!

Hydrate , drink allot of fluids a couple of days before the race. If

its a rocky area, make sure to check your tire pressure. Oh and

take it easy ,it`s your first race, have fun. Telling your bro`s

all the in betweens,will mean allot more,than a DNF.

If there is any chance of rocky stuff, consider brake disc rotor guards. Although you didn't ask about non-bike equipment I hope you plan to use knee, elbow, and chest protectors and a camel back. Wouldn't hurt to carry a spare chain master link/clip.

Don't ride above your ability!! ride where you feel comfortable, don't worry about being a hero!!. Ride smart and ride safe, finishing your first race with no damage to body & bike is as good as a win!!, and will help build your confidence for future events, good luck. 😢

are you sure it's a 100 mile harescramble? that is a lot of miles for a true harescramble race.

most harescrambles (at least here in the northwest) are well under a 100 miles, usually the expoert classes only run 30-90 miles depending on the difficulty of the terrain. If it is the case it's 100 miles, I would expect the amateur classes to have a course much shorter.

Yes, we have 100 H/S in the east. Most are 30-50 miles but some big events are up to 100 mils. Sometimes we call them Gran Prix or Cross Country but no matter whether that or a GNCC it is nothing more than a Hare Scramble. I have run many 100 milers over the years but most folks don't like to run that long now. There used to be a well known 100 miler in Alabama called the Logger 100. But although this event is still going it is run much shorter. Basicially a 2 hr. event now. It is called the Southeast Cross Country Shootout. It is tri sanctioned by Mid South, SERA, and SETRA. Usually as many as 650 riders total . Most H/S have between 80 to 220 riders. So this is a very big deal. Same place that the Perry Mtn. Club puts on the 24hr. Challenge team race.

http://sera.dirtrider.net/perry2005hs1flier.pdf

Cher'o,

Dwight

However, I wouldn't recommend for someones first harescramble to try and do a 100 mile harescramble. If there is not a short course for the amateur class at this event, then I would think it better to select a different event with a shorter course.

You'll want to select events that are a little easier starting out. Some of these harescrambles can be downright ugly. Talk to some people that have been to the events in your area and find out which ones are good for a new guy to try.

As already mentioned, your main goal will be to finish, but start out with an event that you don't end up getting frustrated or anything just trying to finish.

😢