Sign in to follow this  

AMA Pro SM--'05 Rules Changes / Suggestions

Racers, Crew Members, Team Managers, Spectators,

Do you have any suggestions for rule changes / general suggestions for the 2005 AMA Pro Racing Supermoto season?

I personally do not know of an official system in place for suggestions for changes, but with enough input, I'd bet that such a system could be easily created.

Possible topics:

Eligible motorcycles

Qualifying procedures

Superpole

One-day vs. two-day formats

Double-header rounds

Etc.

Please understand that I am asking this question as an individual and outside the direction of anyone at AMA Pro Racing.

Please also understand that absolutely no one was pleased with delay in the finalizing of the season calendar, nor could the calendar changes (Reno,

South Boston) have been avoided.

Thanks,

John Casimir

AMA Pro Racing Pit Steward

1. Main thing is if the Last round is going to be double points make it for everyone and not just 5 people.

2. More double headers

3. Need a race at Daytona

4. More free entry for spectator rounds

5. More races in conjunction with other events, we need a race at a National MX

6. Need minimum 10 races total, double headers or not.

7. Get rid of tires in the corners like someone suggested in another post for safety reasons use other devices.

8. Push Reno to get back streets repaved before the race.

9. Schedule needs to start earlier in the season and it is too short.

10. Bring back the Urbancross it was the coolest thing on the track, as long as they place it in a proper location.

11. Have a track with some real Whoops

12. Shore up technical inspection actually check if anyone is running anti-freeze.

13. Run a 250 class dump the Unlimited Class

14. Keep the Supermoto Challenge - Even though it's not really fair because dumb kids cant race.

15. Look into fitting more people into grid rows like 5 or 6. Would make starts more interesting.

16. Have more than 1 person on the track with a blue flag

17. Don't make the schedule drag out all day if it is a night race, if it is a night race let the program start later in the day like noon.

That's what I can think of for a start!

There are a lot of small changes that could really help the sport grow!

First, the event needs to be two days. Practice on the first day, maybe 2 sessions. The only reason we need more practice is to develop more lines in the dirt. Throughout the practice, haybails need to be moved around in the dirt section to make 2-3 different lines. Currently this cannot be done because practice is qualifiying.....This will make several passing lines in the dirt, something we rarely saw this year. I think that this is very important! People do not want to see follow the leader. This year passing off line in the dirt never worked and was too big of a risk because the guy right behind you!

Supermoto......in the parking lots the day after Supercross!!!!!! It is probably to late now but imagine, 40,000 fans get to see Doug Henry take a lap with slicks on and then he clears the triples..... the announcer "come check this out tomorrow in the parking lot!"

The dirt section could already be completed and fenced off....Then use the tuff blocks to construct the track over night! I think people would really go for it!! You have to use the positives of what you already have to help the new grow!! You already have the 40,000 motorcycle fans sitting there, half of them might not even know about supermoto at this point! Easy targets for new fans!

That is all I have time for right now, I'll think about it more! 😢😢

I vote for all of the above. 😢

More than anything, get the schedule out sooner, so those of us that race other series can plan the season well in advance.

Hey Buddy:

An overall suggestion, one I'm certain that everyone agrees with:

Get the season schedule established farther in advance, or AT LEAST keep us informed about it's progress.

Another one - AMA needs to give some guidelines to the video media (be it OLN or someone else) on how to spread the love around. In other words, for our series to be more competitive, there needs to be more exposure for different teams. That means that the "televisor" needs to do more background pieces, so that a greater number of teams get exposure for their sponsors. Because sponsors make the world go 'round.

Regarding race format - I'd like to see them all as two-day events, with three classes - 250, Supermoto (450), and Open Class. And in Open Class, there should be no engine configuration or displacement rules whatsoever. Maico 700cc two stroke ? Bring it on 😢 Honda CRF 590 ? No problem. The 250's, as a support class, should race on Saturday, and the 450 and Open classes should race on Sunday. I know that a format like this would be difficult to run on a street course like Reno, but otherwise, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Race course design - More European style tracks. Yes, I know, I know, we need to design tracks to make the American guys look good and all, but I think that in 2004, track design really got out of hand. At a couple of the tracks, namely Vegas and Reno, there was not a single corner where the racers got to back it in really huge. Isn't backing it in what this sport is supposed to be all about ? I'd like to see more faaaast corners, and I think that it would make the sport more exciting to watch.

I could go on and on (as you all know), but I'll wait and see how this discussion shapes up 😢

Cheers,

Brett

p.s. - we could really use some BETTER LOOKING PIT STEWARDS

Keep the Open class, but without the eligible bikes rule, and you'll have a bunch of new bikes racing, and not a nearly complete orange grid.

I don't completely agree with you about the track design: you guys have generally bigger and nicer dirt sections (except Reno, of course), and we have a lot of tracks that aren's faster than your's. But you need for sure to have some races on road raciong tracks, like we have, this is definitively a blast for the riders

Eligible motorcycles...

250 Class...Top 10 from the previous year not eligible. Let the support class have their day in the spotlight. Hilight the up and comers...

450 Class...Premier

Unlimited...dump it. It is basically a one brand show. 3 classes would draw the day out too long anyway.

Qualifying procedures...

Grid qualifying by point standings. Top 20 in the first group(in order)...21 thru 40 in the second...41 thru 60 in the 3rd. This way you will be on the track with other riders closer to your own speed. You shouldn't have to pass 10 guys while trying to cut a good lap for qualifying. And the way the groups were this last season, I know the word "random" isnt going to be said.

Superpole...

as is!

One-day vs. two-day formats...

Two day!...first morning would be pitting, tech and signup. In the afternoon could be a couple of practice sessions(timed). 2nd day would be qualifying and races.

Tires...NO qualifiers, unless readily available to everyone.

Wet or Dry...

Each track should be determined ahead of time wether it will run just dry or wet/dry. This should be posted with the schedule so teams can be prepared.

Tech Inspection...Fuel Testing...coolant checks...PUKE BOTTLES per the rules!

From a fan's perspective:

I think the two race format for the premier class is awesome, ala World Superbike, or World Super Moto. Two separate, points paying races for the same group of qualifiers. I would also suggest slightly shorter races with this format, say 12 laps instead of 18. The race action tends to get diluted as the race goes on.

😢

Mike

Scrap the Superpole and have 2 moto's, at least in the 450 class, just like motocross.

The grid system is too much of a disadvantage if some one has a mechanical problem in qualifying or who slides down. With a limited number of races someone like Henry who had a mechanical problem at Copper wouldn't have ended up totally out of the series because one moto.

Let the Aprillia V-twins race.

😢😢😢😢

Well, that is if they'll drag their butts here.

I agree a 250 class would be good. Many regional groups seem to be doing this. I know the raceday I helped flag here in the midwest had a pretty nice showing for that class. And showed off some young talent.

Allow top 10 AMA Pro Championship contenders from any racing form to compete at the final,since most factory teams won't let their guys race till their season is over.

Have bonus points carry over from super moto to a pro riders primary series(RR),I think this would open some eyes.

AY#20

Scrap the Superpole and have 2 moto's, at least in the 450 class, just like motocross.

The grid system is too much of a disadvantage if some one has a mechanical problem in qualifying or who slides down. With a limited number of races someone like Henry who had a mechanical problem at Copper wouldn't have ended up totally out of the series because one moto.

Ralph, I think one thing we should not do is try to pattern our series after another. Especially for a new series. MX fans are diehard...they have had the 2 moto format forever. But the SM fan is basically fairly new, and the 2 moto format is/can be very confusing(That is why SX got away from it, and look what it has done for them). ie...how can so&so win when he only finished 3rd and 5th???

SM is both a combination of other diciplines but unique at the same time. I believe we need to come up with a program that we can identufy with. Take the best from the others and combine and make it our own! JMO Tdub

I agree with all these suggestions so far, but I would like to add a couple.

Bikes:

Definately 250 and 450 classes. I think they should restrict it too standard cases, cylinder head castings, valve size, and bore and stroke. This will keep the costs down and make it so everyone can build a competative bike. Also tires should be limited to readily available items. No works tires like the TLD and KTM factory guys get. No carbon brakes, and basically nothing that would give the buck up guys like KTM and TLD and unfair advantage. They have enough already. Let the best rider win.(although I feel they already do)

Format:

It should be a 2 day format with practice friday and prequalifiers for anyone outside the top 20 to get the field down to 48. Basically fallow the supercross format, but add superpole back in.

Tracks: There should be a three row start- 8 bikes wide. The start should be a motocross style gate- 8 gates wide and three rows deep(with like 8 feet between the rows). They could build this gate mechanism into an urban cross type obstacle that they take to every race. This would make the starts more exciting and bunch the pack up more. Plus it would give guys a better shot that may have had a problem in there heat race. The layouts were good at Reno, Vegas, and Del Mar. Just keep that kind of flavor going. Get rid of the tire barriers.

I say 10-12 locations with maybe 4-5 double headers. This would give us 15-16 total rounds. As far as locations go, as many downtowns as possible. Reno, Vegas, Dallas, N.Y., L.A., Daytona, Columbus, Atlantic City, etc. Let the citys foot the bill, and make it free spectating(I know this is more difficult than I'm making it sound but since we're talking hypothetically). Then next year, bring in the corporate money since 40,000 peeps are seeing each round.

How about a schedule sometime in the first half of the year and a real purse.

all the other good ideas have already beem stated.

Several posts have been made in concern of the tire barriers...but no mention or recommendations what they should be replaced with.

Haybales...I hope not.

Pylons...I hope not.

Remember the tires line the INSIDE of the track. Unlike running wide and coming in contact with a barrier, a slight adjustment to the handlebars can avoid contact with an INSIDE barrier. They are there for a purpose...to define the track.

Ever glance off a haybale or soft barrier? Not only a problem for the rider, but anyone behind him.

Or a Pylon...hit it and it flys up in front of the next few riders.

Solution...easy enough. The track is defined by the barriers, in this case tires. They cant fly up in front of another rider, they can't "suck" you in....

Adjust your line and give them room...that's why they are there.

I know there have been several injuries due to the tires on the inside line, and I hate to see anyone hurt. BUT, they are there for a reason and I personally think they are the safest barriers(on the inside line)that can be used. Well except maybe a paved inside curb, but we know that isn't feasable. JMO Tdub

"Tracks: There should be a three row start- 8 bikes wide. The start should be a motocross style gate- 8 gates wide and three rows deep(with like 8 feet between the rows)."

Couple of thoughts here.

Ever wonder why RR has 4 rider rows? Look back at the track layouts over the last season. For safety sake I hope they stick with the 4 man rows.

Look at the time difference in groups of 8 or 10. At most venues, BIG difference. Why would you line up the #8 rider on the front row when he is 3 seconds a lap slower than the pole sitter?

8' between rows????Why even bother with qualifying for starting positions? Ever seen a front row starter miss a gear on the start? This is just asking for someone to get injured. Personally, I dont think there is enough space between the rows.

Most of the tracks this year had some kind of dogleg on the start straight...anything more than a 4 rider row is just asking for trouble(and injury).

You guys have got me going on this thread 😢