Sign in to follow this  

Top End Trouble

Hi there my name is Trevor Murray and this is my first using Thumper Talk , I own A 2004 CRF 450 and I have some noise from the top end, so I'm going to pull it apart and redo the top end. My question is can I expect to have to rebuild this motor every year? Or maybe just some bad luck! I've read that in the owners they suggest to rebuild it every 20hrs or so. Do some of you have alot of hours with no trouble? Thank you

yes they are very noisy, anything that is this lightweight will let you hear everthing,---my new 05 sounds worse , and so does everybody else's ,---i still have my old original 02 that has 340.1 hrs on it by the meter, and it has been filled with water ,--team raced , works raced ,and just plan beat to death,---and my good friend crashed it at glamis slid backwards and filled the header and motor with sand to where the motor would not kick over,--and i flatrated it appart real quick in my toyhauler ,--blew the sand out, slammed it back together so we could ride the three day weekend,and never put a part other than gaskets in it and it still runs hard today,-----so no we don't have any trouble with them and the things are very good ,-----i see quite afew since i own a shop( auto and bike), most of the problems i see are with what the owner tried to do ,--lack of maintenance, didn't prep it correctly when he tried to do a top end , ---now i cant see or hear your bike from here and i don't know anthing about your 04,---but i bet if you get it all appart and measure it all out you will find its within spect (other than maybe some cupping on the ti intake valves--thats a whole nother matter witch our bikes have never had -----but i do repair valves for others and see it on their bikes )--you need to go up and listen to some of these that just come off the track and are stink hot ,---yes they make noise------so do what you think,--i also like to get a cold and hot leak down and compression test on the motor and keep records of it and when it starts to slip alittle you can see and hear where it is loosing it at and can take action and freshen it up . 😢

Thank you very much for the info. I have about 80hrs on the bike and my last ride is when I realized that something was wrong, it sounds like there is a bolt flying around in there. I had a friend come over and listen to it, and he is a licensed mech that feels we need to pull it apart. I'm really glad to hear that guys are not having to rebuild them all the time because I ride almost every weekend and have put a wack of cash into it making it bush ready. I maintain the bike to a tee, so maybe just bad luck hey? Thank you