Sign in to follow this  

KTM SMC vs SMR

By chance does anyone know if the SMC has the same exact frame as the SMR. :

Yeap. The differences are:

SMR has 6 speed gearbox (you can get that for the SMC for pretty cheap).

SMR has lowered and revalved suspension.

SMR has 320mm front disc (vs. 310??? for the SMC)

SMR (the '04) has a 6 pot caliper (vs. 4 pot for the SMC)

SMC comes with an extra set of dirt wheels

I read somewhere that the smr frame has extra gussets on the frame. Not sure where I read it though. I also remember seeing something on KTM's web sight about it having a supermoto specific frame.

From what Kurt Nicoll said on the AMA website the 05 SMR is the shiznet. Big improvments over the 04 unit. It has me thinking about orange. 😢

The SMC was a 2003 525 SX dirt bike that they added a set of 17 inch wheels to, in order to clear out non-current bikes.

The SMR is a 2005 model that is a purpose-built Supermoto bike that has a braced frame and different gear ratios, in addition to a whole host of other minor improvements.

The 2005 525 SMR does not have the same frame as the 2003 525 SMC, to my knowledge.

Cheers,

Brett Saunders

I ended up buying a brand new 2003 525 smc with the wheel kit for 5800. Not sure if it was a good deal but I couldnt or didnt want to spend the extra 2 grand at least for now.

Brett is right, SMR is a lot differant not only is the frame but also the suspension is lowered and valved for Supermoto, Brakes, gearbox and rear wheel. The braced frame does make the bike feel differant, I have ridden both back to back and the faster you are the more you feel it (less flex) also the 04 have a bigger swing arm pivot bolt. 😢

Darrick

www.westcoastsupermoto.com

Right on John! Sounds like a great deal, I just sold my '04 EXC for 5500.00

without any of my SM stuff!

Welcome to the Open class!

Thank you so much.

And I must say that you have impressed me many times with your complete lack of knowledge as well.

Happy Holidays,

Brett.