Sign in to follow this  

Whats the verdict on removing the backfire screen?

I know its been talked about here but I can't seem to find it when I need it. Is there a performance gain to be had from removing the screen? Does it pose a fire danger by removing it? Is it really necessary to use a fire proof filter? Has anyone caught on fire from doing this?

Mines out also, with the stock filter left in the bike. No problems.

It’s hard to tell if removing the filter alone makes that much difference as I did it at the same time that I fit a new exhaust system and changed the jetting.

The guys in the local Kawa dealer tell me it does make a tangible difference though, and their word is good enough for me.

The screen on the '05 is 3 layers thick which must majorly restrict airflow 😢

So you guys just rip out the screen and don't put nothing in its place???

No there is replacement part. There is this cool guy in Redding, CA selling them for cheap and the quality is great. Call Jim @ 530-221-6612. Tell him Richard told you to call so he can give you the BRO deal. 😢😢

I wasn't aware there was anything you could replace the screen with. Everyone I've talked too has simply cut it out.

Mind you, my bike has never backfired. The first time it does I'll be getting my burnt arse a flame retardent air filter.

what i like is that u can buy a non flamable filter, thats all good untill you put the oil on it cuz noooo thats not flamible lol o well

I got mine from WMR, you take out the old frame and screen and replace it with their air box ring. It's a good time to totaly seal the air box also, they are never sealed good enough from the factory. At first I just cut mine out, but it looked all hacked up so I went the professional way and called WMR.