Sign in to follow this  

Manufacturers published weights

A UK magazine recently started weighing bikes full with fluids (oil, water, brake fluid, fuel, etc) to inform their readers of the real weight of any bike they test. The results are pretty interesting because manufacturers publish empty weights (no fluids) and even actually lie about the weight of their bikes.

One jap bike manufacturer (they wouldn't say which) weighed its new sports 600 bike and compared it with the empty weights of its nearest rivals. They found that both the rivals were understating (read BSing) the weights of their bikes and, since this manufacturer's bike was heavier than one rival but lighter than the other, they chose a figure between the two!

The REAL figures are interesting. Lately, everybody thinks 200kg (440lb) is heavy for a 1000cc sportsbike and Yamaha's new R1 has 180bhp and 172kg (379lb) - the first mass produced bike to break the magic 1bhp per kilo! But fill her up with oil, water, brake fluid and fuel and she goes up to 205kg (451lb)! If manufacturers quoted this figure, people would go "Whoa, heavy bike!"

So, has anyone here REALLY weighed their DRZ? I'd love to know what it does weigh.

Cheers

Ian

So, has anyone here REALLY weighed their DRZ? I'd love to know what it does weigh.

Cheers

Ian

Yes......

LESS THAN YOUR'S ...!!!!!

😢😢😢😢😢🤣:D🤣:D:D:D😉😉

In full trail trim, all the bells and whistles,, 290 on a certified public scale. It's been lighter when stripped done for a specific event and approx 10 more pounds can be removed.

Wanna try something funny.. take your friends KTM, YAM, or what every,, you know the one with the hand guards, rad guards, skid plate, ect ect.. and take it to the scale.... watch his eyes bulge when he sees what is so much liter then your DRZ really weighs in at....... Done that twice now,,,, two people in the cab on the way home,,,one was very quite and smiling,, the other full of explanations and excuses 😢

Yeah, I found a scale by this mining area......

I ran my harley on it... 883 customer sportster... it weighed 520LBS.

I've been meening to ride my DRZ over thier.... I am interested to see how much it weighs, especially with all its armor.....

It has to weight like 300LBS with gas and everything...

I weighed my '00 WR400 once and with it topped off and a few mods it weighed in at 275lbs, I've been meaning to weigh the DR-Z but just have not had the chance.

I weighed my '00 WR400 once and with it topped off and a few mods it weighed in at 275lbs, I've been meaning to weigh the DR-Z but just have not had the chance.

weigh um on the same scale 😢

I've seen two WR 400's weighed now,, neither was a slim as yours 😢

00 drz e model protaper bars and clamp handlebar bag and acerbis handguards w radiator braces and caliper guard and meaty bash plate 305 LBS BUT SHE DONT VEER OFF FROM HITTIN A STICK

my "S", as ridden, is 320lbs. remove rear rack, tool pouch, and install a non teraflex tire and it would probably weigh 305 ready to ride.

i shipped a 03 kicker today in a steel factory crate with 1/4 inch plywood on all sides.the entire floor of the crate full of spares.289 lbs.

got my Cr125 on a scale and it was right at 200lbs with a bunch of mud on it.

I weighed mine last week and it was 292 with 1/2 gallon of gas. This is with all the usual protection installed, and all the usual stuff removed. I removed the speedo but I added that giant teraflex. It will be a couple ounces lighter once I remove my key switch 👍.

I had to edit this to say it was an S model.

where are you finding the scales? 👍

Weigh stations on the interstate? (I don't feel like asking a DOT cop for much of anything) 👍

my digital bathroom scale goes to 300 so I put a board on it and pushed the bike up there, then subtracted the board. Luckily I only had 1/2 gallon of gas or it would have maxed it out.

Definitely not a certified scale, but I think its pretty accurate.

I just set my kicker up in race trim for the OMRA cross country series which included a Yosh pipe, taillight removed, and I am using a spare headlight shell. I have radiator guards, a Carbon fiber skid plate, and CFC case savers. Weighed in at 255 lbs. which is about 5 lbs heavier than a KTM 400 exc, and a WR 250f. I havent ridden an S in a while but I am working on my old S for a friend, and it feels like it weighs a ton trying to lift it onto the stand. I can easily ride the kicker at race pace for 100 miles, but I would start getting worn out at 65 on the old S.

i shipped a 03 kicker today in a steel factory crate with 1/4 inch plywood on all sides.the entire floor of the crate full of spares.289 lbs.

Haha thats a lot lighter than I expected and the crate has got to weigh quite a bit. How much did the CR weigh when shipping it?