Sign in to follow this  

Do you have chain problems?

Do you have chain rub on your CRF 450?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have chain rub on your CRF 450?

• No, i have no chain rub at all.
    • Yes, i have a little chain rub, but it goes away when i tighten it
    • Yes, happens so much i have to pull the wheel back while im riding (have to stop riding)
    • Yes, it has always happened and nothing i do is working (new chain ect.)

for those of you who have 450's, do you have chain rubbung on the frame? if so, is it really that severe?/or that big of a deal? (other than annoying) and anyways to fix it other than constantly tightening the chain? oh yea, and one moe question, how much does it need to be tightened to keep it from hitting the frame (how ofen). thanks

well i mean this is kinda an odd question,---but anyway. on the honda late model cr crf stuff the chain geometry is such that when it is on the stand or in the air the chain is at its tightest ,--so when your on a dry nice track you will see most of the guys ( if they have a round chain 😢 witch is hard to get these days)-run the chain right at 1/8" movement at the tightest spot in the chain ( if that makes since)---now when its muddy the chain is set up at 1/4 to 5/16 ,---so it kinda depends on what your riding in,(always remove the plastic guard on the counter because this thing will pack with rocks and mud and can brake a chain) --and yes you should ck your chain constantly and not let it get loose,----if your riding trails or desert i would suggest you get an nice o ring or x ring chain and shim it if you have to to keep it off the case and keep it cked and adjusted as well ,--i mean the bike is going to get rocks, mud, bob wire , banners, spokes, bail wire and what ever pulled through with the chain to rub at the frame and the engine case behind the sprocket,---we have never had a problem with the chain hurting the frame ,---with these frames getting wider and the engine getting placed further forward you will see some marks there but its not going to hurt anything.

oops i am a moron i did not see that this was a poll---- 😢 ----man i still dont like these computers 😢 ----.

I have a few very small marks on my frame. So few that I counted five. They almost could have been there from general stuff getting pulled through by the chain. I voted "No, i have no chain rub at all." I do take pretty (not fantastic but I dont ignore it either) good care of my chain and I ran the stocker until it was worn out as well.

JW

Why all these non-stop "chain rub" threads?

I would vote WHO CARES, but it wasn't an option.

The chains jump around a bit on ALL models, but it never stopped me from gettin' the job done......or Ricky!

My frame is chewed up pretty good but yet I run a 120 tire and don't loose knobbies but also have wear on my mud flap... Explain how I'm not loosing knobbies but it's chewing on the frame and mud flap? Either way it's not much of an issue to me, it's not getting any worse over the past 6-8 months so I guess it clearanced itself and it would have to do A LOT more to make me stress on the frame...

Khris

Get a DID 520 ERT O-Ring Chain. After the first ride with it, tighten it and keep on riding. I hardly ever have to tighen my chain.

The chain slap does not bother me that much.

Yes I have had the problem and it would go away for the most part if the chain was tight but I ride in a lot of mud and don't always like to run it that tight. I noticed notches on the inside of my frame where the chain was hitting and I filed it down a little and now I have no problem and can run the chain a little looser. Just for the record I had another CF450 and it did not have this problem. I guess each frame can be made just a little different. I also noticed that most of the problem was when I was lugging the bike way down in slow conditions.

i had alot more problems when i used to use standard (non O-ring) chains. but ever since I switched to a good O-ring chain I rarely ever need to adjust. a friend of mine crys about his chain slapping the swingarm all the time. i tell him not to worry about it, but he's a headcase. i wouldn'w worry about it too much. get a good chain and you'll worry even less. 😢