Sign in to follow this  

Anyone Try The Wrench Power Mods?

I just purchased a "R" headpipe and muffler, and have opened up my airbox and rejetted my 250x. Have not installed the pipe yet, as I am going to get the "R" cam first. I like the low end power of the x, but it signs off too quick on top. I want to do some mx with it, but keep it fun in the woods too. If I use the R cam with the x stock headpipe, and R muffler, will it retain some of the low-end power, or should I just use everything as prescribed? Or, instead of the R cam, is there a better aftermarket cam available?

Any help would be appreciated.

Wade

I don't have any experience with the R cam yet, but I plan to buy one in the next couple of weeks. I've read of at least two X riders on TT trying the R cam and deciding to go back to the X cam because of their riding styles. But I ride in pretty much wide open, desert areas, so the extra top end would be very nice, even if I sacrifice some bottom. BTW, the '05 R cam is different than the '04 R cam and is intended to produce more bottom end. For around $150 (Service Honda), it seems like a reasonable thing to try. Plus, if you ever want a regrind cam (from Crower or others), you've got a core to send them. Dirt Rider did some interesting dyno tests of the '04 X with stock and R cams, plus various exhaust configurations.

Curious as to the specs of the 04 vs the 05 R cams... anyone??

We have the 04 R cam with the 04 head... It pulls well of the bottom and has a perfect mid range. For our style it lacks a tad of top end still. We are waiting for a JD kit in hopes to get that jet lag off the bottom. I have a 04 R ehaust that we are going to try next.

The 05 cam and the 04 head may be ok but I am not sure, the 04 head is ported alot differently. These lil 4 bangers are a whole new world for me to tune,, I am trying to get a crash course...season is coming soon...

I friend of mine did all the CC mods then put the stock headpipe back on and likes the bottom and mid power much better. I would have tried it as well but sold my stock pipe. This is just one persons opinion but is worth a try IMO.

we have all the 04' 05' cam specs , call for a fax copy if you want.They will be on our site soon.dc

Curious as to the specs of the 04 vs the 05 R cams... anyone??

From Rick Ramsey's site, the '04 R cam:

Intake opens 1mm 15º BTDC

Intake closes 1mm 50º ABDC

Exhaust opens 1mm 50º BBDC

Exhaust closes 1mm 20º ATDC

From my local Honda dealer, the '05 R cam is the same except for:

Exhaust closes 1mm 15º ATDC

The net result is that the '04 R cam has 245º intake duration, 250º exhaust duration and a 106.25º lobe displacement angle. The '05 cam has a 245º/245º/107.5º profile. I don't know the maximum lifts.

A friend who builds race engines said that this should tend to produce more bottom end power. I'd be interested to know if you agree Crower3.

BTW, plan A for my '05 X is to open the air box slightly, remove the exhaust baffle, go to a 13 tooth front sprocket and install the '05 R cam.

I just tried my 04 with the stock X headpipe , R muffler, and all the power up mods except the cam, and It does pull a bit harder in the mid, and seems to rev quicker. I think on top it just is making more noise. With the R headpipe, it lost power everywhere with the stock cam.

Wade