Sign in to follow this  

Leak-down Results!

YEE-HAW!!!

Attached the tester last night prior to re-installing the valve cover. Get this:

2%!!! How's my rings??? 😢

I put in the 285 shim replacing the 292 on my one intake valve that was showing a .11 mm clearance before, now showing more than .15 but less than .20! I installed the new plug, a CR8E, replacing the original one.

Here's my question, after increasing the gap on that ONE valve, should I notice any more engine noise? I may just be acting paranoid, but it does seem awfully noisy hearing a very noticeable "clacking" from the upper portion of the motor. Do the cam lobes make the clacking noise as they make contact with the tappets?

The motor seems a little more snappy, and seemed to run beautifully. Is it safe for me to do some heavy twisting on the throttle, or does it sound like something might not be quite together right?

Previously, I'd posted some pics of the "blow-by" issue. The suggestion was a leak-down test. Given the result, the usual suspects have been cleared. So, is my motor just fine and dandy, and I'm just running more high RPM's than previously believed or mentioned?

I don't know... 😢 I'm confused...

Do I still have a possible problem? Or am I healthy as a horse? 😢

Yesterday's clearance findings

blow-by pics

One more thing, while on this subject...

When I'm in this thing next time, hopefully in 2-4k miles, and while changing the cam chain, and switching to the MCCT, I figured I might as well put in a bit higher performance cams. Since I'm working with an "E" do I put in both hot cams, or just one? Is there any performance gain to be had with adding them on the "E" bike?

Thanks in advance again!

I installed the hotcam intake only on my E and noticed an immediat improvement in torque. Thing pulls like a tractor now through the midrange. Also seemed to give the motor a little less engine braking which was good for me. I have a tendency to lock up the rear wheel diving into the corners. Didn't even have to rejet. Good mod!

2%!!! How's my rings???--- Very good

Here's my question, after increasing the gap on that ONE valve, should I notice any more engine noise?--- No.

Do the cam lobes make the clacking noise as they make contact with the tappets? -- The cams are designed with clarance ramps to reduce noise. I do not know what you are hearing. Lots of things make noise.

Is it safe for me to do some heavy twisting on the throttle, or does it sound like something might not be quite together right? ---???? I would have to hear it to offer an opinion.

Previously, I'd posted some pics of the "blow-by" issue. The suggestion was a leak-down test. Given the result, the usual suspects have been cleared. So, is my motor just fine and dandy, and I'm just running more high RPM's than previously believed or mentioned? --- I don't see anything unusual in the blow-by pix

Is it safe for me to do some heavy twisting on the throttle, or does it sound like something might not be quite together right? ---???? I would have to hear it to offer an opinion.

Hmmm...the only better description I could give would be to tell you that it seems like the same sound I've heard since it was new, but louder...scale of 1 to 10...was a 5...now a 6-7.

Also, one thing I failed to mention, after having the intake cam out overnight, I applied a light coat of assembly lube to the lobes and the cam cradle top and bottom halves, but of course, not in the channels. I was VERY light with this assembly lube.

I guess time will tell.

Thanks Ralph!

Of course I could call you and maybe have you listen over the phone...