Sign in to follow this  

CRF250X on MX track??

Ok, guys here is a question that is not directly answered when I do a search. I did try that. I posted the same ? on the WR250f forum. This is not a Yamaha VS Honda issue, I like them both.

Will a 2005 CRF250X be able to handle recreational jumping on a MX track?

General information:

I am 37 years old (novice rider)

160 pounds

5'7"

80% trails, 20% track, east coast harescrambles

I do not always clear the big tabletops and sometimes come up short on doubles. I have know intention of racing MX, I just want to go and ride with my friends that ride on the track. I would like to be able to do some jumps, learn to clear a double eventually. We spend most of our time in the woods, but go to a track once a month or so.

I currently ride CRF230F which has been great but bottoms just about all of the time on jumps unless I land perfect on the down hill side, which I do not seem to do very often. I have done most of the inexpensive suspension mods.

Thanks

Pac Smith

Your weight may help you out in mx. Your weight is spec. for the bike per the Racetech web site. I would not go nuts, but just have fun. I am 195lbs., and have done a some light mx. Jumping about 4 feet off a table top is pushing my suspension. Even with a good smooth landing my susp is maxed. Do not forget to document your settings for mx. Easier to set the bike up for the next time you go out.

Good point Smoker on writing down your settings for moto and woods. What I do is write the settings with a fine tipped marker for moto and woods on the upper fork tube and shock body.

the X runs fine on moto tracks, have not had an issue with it yet. and I have hit some pretty large jumps (whole 3 footers 😢 ) just kidding. but I have not had any problem with it hitting or landing jumps.

Good all around bike

I am 40 years old, 6'2", 210 lbs. and am a retired pro rider from 15 years ago. I have a 04 250x, have done the power up mods-(except the cam), and have stock suspension. I play ride in the woods, and ride motocross with the local youngsters frequently. I also ride a rm-125, but found that the crf250x works better for me on the track. I probably will replace the rear shock spring, as it bottoms on high jumps, but I can land a 40' double with about 12-15' of air with no trouble. If you land flat, it is a bit soft, and will hit hard, (and God help anyone that comes up short on any bike when you are 40)but I stiffen up the high-speed settings which help. I rode the "R", and loved it, it is stiffer, but the x works better off road by a long shot. This was the compromise I decided to make since I wanted the electric start and not-so-stiff ride as the "R".

Wade

Why don't you just buy an R? I use my R for woods riding all the time and it does great. The suspension can be adjusted and like ThrottleJockey said, just record your settings for each and it's really easy to switch back and forth.

You can stiffen up the suspension on the X to deal with the harder landings as well.

Will a 2005 CRF250X be able to handle recreational jumping on a MX track?

I think you'll do just fine. I'm a novice, 5'8", 155 lbs and I ride an '05 X. I have no problems with MX track type environments. The longest jumps I do are around 30 foot doubles and I always have a smooth landing. Slap downs may get cause some fork bottoming, but I try to avoid those. I'm still running the stock clicker settings, so I think there is plenty of adjustment if I start catching some real air time. When I set my race sag to 92 mm, I get 20 mm static sag, so it seems well sprung for me. My biggest problem is in the slow tight stuff when I want to touch the ground, the seat height is a bit high for me, but i figure I'll fix that with improved riding 😢 .