Bike Colors

Yamaha YZ's went from yellow to white and red in 1985, IT's from white to blue in 1982. Then in about 1993 (?) the YZ's went to "navy" blue. In 1997 they changed to "reflex" blue with the white strobes.

Honda's went from red to "orange" (flame red) in 1985 or 1986. They later changed again to blaze red (pink in the early 90's).

At least thats the way I remember it, you know the old saying "of all the things I have lost, my mind is the one I miss the most."

Yamaha YZ's went from yellow to white and red in 1985, IT's from white to blue in 1982. Then in about 1993 (?) the YZ's went to "navy" blue. In 1997 they changed to "reflex" blue with the white strobes.

Honda's went from red to "orange" (flame red) in 1985 or 1986. They later changed again to blaze red (pink in the early 90's).

At least thats the way I remember it, you know the old saying "of all the things I have lost, my mind is the one I miss the most."

Not sure but I had a 1979 IT400 that was blue plastics and black frame

LOL you guys know alot about bike colors. All I know is when Yamaha's were yellow, Bob Hannah was racing the machines, then when they went to white Doug Dubach was the factory man...then they went to blue with Doug Henry.

I dont see any teams changing their colors again though. I think KTM's would look sweet if they were silver instead of orange.

Honda's corporate color is silver. They changed in '76 because a focus group liked red better. Yamaha USA was yellow and black, Yamaha's corporate colors are red and white,they changed the YZ in the mid 80"s. But as has been pointed out they have been all over the spectrum. Suzuki and Kawasaki have been very consistent. I do miss those yellow YZs.

The original Honda MX'ers were Silver and green in '73. The first fire engine red Honda's were in '76, I believe. Yamaha YZ's were Silver and Red when they first came out. Suzuki and Kawasaki have always mainly stayed some shade of yellow and green.

Those first silver Yamahas were not YZ's as I recall. They were MX's. MX125, MX250, and I believe MX360. ?

YZ was the name first given to their factory (works) bikes. Later they used the YZ moniker for their machines sold to the public.

As recalled by "Old" broke bikeless ?

Know your going way back. Yes the late 70's IT's were blue. Changed to White in 1981 then back to blue in 1982 when Yamaha introduced the new link mono shock.

Just to add to the Yamaha IT info, the first IT was the 76 400. Blue with black and white trim (man I loved that bike ? ). They added the 250 and 175 in 77, and in 77 or 78 I think they were blue with yellow and black trim.