Sign in to follow this  

CFR450X Dry Weight

I don't get it. I read an article about the CFR450X and it said this is the latest greatest large bore off-road trails/woods bike, as it should be at $7000 and being the latest one out. But heres my problem, everytime someone talks smack about the DRZ-E they say it is a over weight piggy, . . .you can really feel the weight . . . too heavy to compete with. . . on and on.

Well the article said the 450X is 255 dry. The E is 262 dry, That is only a 7 lbs diff. ??? I realize the 450 has more power and probably better legs, but I rarely hear people complain about the power of the E or the shocks if re-worked, it always weight. Plus, the 450 has to titanium valve that may be suspect and costs at least 1500$ more. 😢😢

Like I said, I don't get it.

By the way, I wish I would have bought the E instead of S. 😢

Why do you wish you bought the 400R?

I will tell you why I didnt go with the SR, well I was looking for a dirt bike thats why, I traded my KDX 220 in for KLX because I didnt like the feel of 220 in the woods. When I bought my KDX I was looking to ride dirt only.At the time the dealer had the SR also and I just didnt even think about it because if I was going to get a bike for the street it would be street only, at the time I didnt know that the SR was different than the R other that that the SR has turn signals and mirrors. Know that I know more about them I am glad that I was looking for a dirt only bike,because I love this bike, If I had been looking for a dual sport I would have gotten the XL 600, but that was before I knew about the DRZ. But all and all I was looking for a dirt bike and am very happy to have bought the one I have and got rid of that KDX.

The E is 262? I though the E was around 275.. If the E is 262 what's the K?

The K should be the same, the only differance is the kick start.

The E is electric start, K is kick start

Spec on the E with the E-start is 262 on the web site. DR mag siad 255 dry for the 450X. So is the 450X a fat piggy like the DRZ or is the DRZ now 7 lbs from cutting edge? 😢😢

Weight is just hype to get you to move from one brand to the other. It's been said many times, if you think weight is holding you back, then loose some (fat) and get in better shape! I had a lighter bike before this one and I actually ride this one faster as it's ergonomically better for me. I had a WR400 and while it was a little lighter, it was also top heavy and sat almost 2" higher, which for me was a disadvantage at only 5'11". Now for the few riders out there that have no weight to loose, I say suck it up and learn to ride better or buy a lighter bike.

• Like 1

i think 262 is a miss print for the e, maybe the k but the e is more like 275 dry

By the way, I wish I would have bought the E instead of S. 😢

I kind of feel like that from time to time too 😢

It sure would be nice to have a lighter bike with more power. But think of it this way, you saved yourself from the hassle of having to add lights and get it inspected to make it street legal.

The Suzuki specs say 262 for the E, but I think your right...I am going to weight mine full of fluids with all of the protection and we can see for sure 😢

Dry weights stock :

E = 262 lbs.

K = 249 lbs.

About the whole weight thing.... remove the lights,kickstand and other things you don't need on your K and it gets pretty close to an MX bike weight. Still a tad heavier (10 or 15 lbs) but what can you do?

The DRZ really is practically an RM with a 4 stroke motor.

Did you see the new DZ400SM? Not only does it have 47mm Showa forks like the RM, It also has an RM swingarm and rear rotor / brake. 😢

where did you find 249 on the k? i have never saw that before. all i know is my e full of fuel, white bros skid plate, devol radiator guards and probend hand guards, cfc case savers as stuff i have added and a full stainless yosh that is quite a bit lighter than stock, weighs 299. i guess those items could add up to 37 lbs would have thought more like 10 or 15. oh well

where did you find 249 on the k? i have never saw that before. all i know is my e full of fuel, white bros skid plate, devol radiator guards and probend hand guards, cfc case savers as stuff i have added and a full stainless yosh that is quite a bit lighter than stock, weighs 299. i guess those items could add up to 37 lbs would have thought more like 10 or 15. oh well

fuel alone is 7 or 8 lbs a gallon if I remember right the weight listed above would be less than the fuel weight alone.

yeah i didnt add the weight of fuel which varies 5.8-6.5 lbs per gal. thats at the most 17 lbs then maybe 10 lbs of add ons then take away about 5 lbs on the exhaust that adds upto about 22 lbs equals the 277 which is what i thought they use to advertise, at least in 02 when i got mine.

My point is that many say the DRZ-E is fat, but I say Nuts.

Unless the manufacturers are lying, honda specs the dry 450X at 255, DRZ specs at 262 dry. Both E-start and no mods, the 450X has more power and better legs, but is at least 1500$ more and has 2 titanium valves, if that matters.

I saw a couple 450R a couple weeks ago out riding and they looked nice, so I was thinking maybe I should get a dirt only bike since my S blew past 300 lbs a long time ago. The R would not work for me, but an X would, but the weight is not much lighter. I am just suprised how many time I have read how heavy the DRZ yet when Honda comes out with the latest and greatest, it weights damn near the same. Probably has a lot to do with lbs/hp or where the weight is at, but I was suprised. 😢😢

yeah i was disappointed that the honda was that heavy also. hopefully now that we know the rmz has a place for starter and extra gear they will build it a little lighter. 10 lbs is alot on a bike, and 20 or 30 is huge. i would like to see one ready to ride, gassed up at about 250.

here is something i found out of dirt bike mag from a few yrs ago. SUZUKI DRZ400

SUZUKI DRZ400 TECH

* Available in electric or kick start

* A kickstarter can be installed on the E version

* Liquid-cooled, DOHC engine--very YZ-like

* Side access airbox

* Electric start version: $5349

* Kick start version: $5249

* Dry weight, kick version: 260 lb.

* Dry weight, E-version: 277 lb.

DRZ UPS

* Great low end power

* Great top end power

* Super-quiet muffler you don't have to chuck

* Slim

DRZ DOWNS

* Tall seat height

* Rearward-sloping seat

* Cramped riding position

* Mushy suspension

* Battery can be drained by leaving key on

where did you find 249 on the k?
Just FYI I still have the 03 DRZ Brochure from when I bought my S. Has all the specs of all the models. Thats where I got it from.

IMO the K has great potential. I keep throwing around the idea of buying the parts to convert my S turned Pseudo K into a real K (Blue too of course) 😢.

Just because the shorter crank half shaves even more weight.

But also for cosmetics because I hate having the E start side case and covering the hole. Kindy Micky Moused together (I want the K side case).

But I am also thinking of having a buddy CNC a shim piece so I can use 2 gaskets and just use the K side case instead with the E start crank.... K look on a budget and all. 😢

I think I am gonna splurge and buy a Yosh Ti and put my extra E subframe on it also to shave as many pounds as possible on my street legal SM S turned K project. 😢

But I still need to get a yosh kit and redo the motor and fix the water leak.

All in due time.... DRZ is a money sucker. But its just so fun. 😢

Dry weight is without engine oil, fork, and shock oil, brake fluids, or fuel. Plus bike companies arent known for being very reliable when stating weights for their bikes. Like the other dude said the E is 277, and the K is closer to 260.