Sign in to follow this  

Which Bike for My Daughter?

I'm hoping someone has gone through this before....

My daughter is about 5'8"/118lbs and currently rides a Z400. She has a KX125 that she doesn't like to ride because of the two-stroke riding style. She's a little aggressive while doing her longest quad jumps at 40' but usually only 20'-30' jumps. At first I was firm about getting her a WR250F due to the easy nature and magic button. She has sat on both the WR250F and CRF250X and liked the ergonomics of the WR much better but really wants a YZ250F (which she's never ridden). I'm taking her off the KX due to it being a maintenance nightmare (compared to my WR450F) and two-stroke jumping characteristics that she has problems with and she won't take it in the trails.

I'm taking her off the Z400 because it's just plain dangerous. She's had about three bad accidents on the Z400 (tried to double a triple and slamed the face on the triple, slid sideways up and over a 4' berm and was pinned under the quad, landed in a rut coming off a double and threw her off the quad) and one on the KX125 (over jumped a 40' tabletop while nose high). She doesn't always think out the track and at times rides beyond her abilities and the quads abilities (bottoming out, bouncing, etc).

My questions.....are the YZ250F's easy to start and will this bike put her in the hospital faster than a WR250F (I'm afraid the Z400 will put her in a casket)? Will the bike handle single track easily? With a Rekluse?

Help!

Rich

My girlfriend started riding about a year and a half go on a TTR125LE, which lasted one month than she moved up to a '03 YZ250F. She is about 5'4, which makes starting a challenge for her...a milk crate helps. We only ride on MX track and loves the bike, but she is in her early 30's and pretty conservative about jumping so I can't answer the quick trip to the hospital question...I think if your daughter is aggressive enough any bike can get her a trip to the ER.

I dont think she'll have a problem starting it, as long as you set the sag right. They're pretty tame when the power comes on, and don't tend to rip your arms out. The YZF250 is a great all around bike and I'm sure she won't be dissapointed.

Buy her the YZ250F. My daughter started on a TTR125L and quickly outgrew it. She then bought herself (she trains and sells horses) a YZ250F. She is does really well with it. She is 15, 5'7 125 lbs. She can start it just fine.

My daugter also started on a TTR125L and quickly outgrew it. She is 13 and has been my 03 250f ror about 3 months. She likes it real well. She hasn't had much trouble starting it, but someimes needs to use a bike stand beside the bike. She is 5'4 and only 110lbs. She should grow more this year and I expect she will be real comfortable with the 250f.

Do her as favor and set her on a yzf. If it isnt an 03 or later, then put an exhaust cam in it.

As for her riding skills, no bike will fix that. For that you must get her riding classes. there is only so much you can guess before you need professional help.

Go to the track and try to find someone who will let her ride their yzf.I think they are fairly easy to start.I think she will really like the yz250f.

Thanks for the responses. We were at the track today but the only YZF was a 426. We left early because I thought she was going to crash the Z400. She was clearing 40' tabletops with it and bouncing on some of the landings....scary on a quad. Plus one lip on a step-up wasn't enough causing casings and some were off-set which tried to make it barrel roll. Quads just scare me.

She occasionally rides my WR450F around the house and mentioned something about racing it today.....don't think so, she's not even partially ready for my WR. The more I see her ride the more I think she'd enjoy the YZ250F, except for the starting.

Let's see.....ladies class, hobby class and 125D. That should keep her busy!

Rich

shes bouncing on the landing because shes landing with the gas off. She needs to land with the gas on and in full attack position so the bike launches rather than bounces.

Make her either stop jumping or land with the gas on.