Sign in to follow this  

Quality control

Im disgusted with honda just recently i have had 3 brand new crf 450 heads in ,1 out of the 3 had barley exceptable concentrictys on the intake seats the other 2 would have a seat with .001 or less and then the other seat would be out .005" .valve seat concentricity should be kept @ .001 or less you would think with hondas machinery that they would be perfect .Shame on you Honda .

Hey Ron,

I know you just had my new head for porting .... so how did mine(Aaron) spec out???

FYI I can't wait, I can't wait!!!

Ride report to follow once I get the bugger all patched together. I'll also be test riding my bros new 05!

Hey Ron,

I know you just had my new head for porting .... so how did mine(Aaron) spec out???

FYI I can't wait, I can't wait!!!

Ride report to follow once I get the bugger all patched together. I'll also be test riding my bros new 05!

I had to touch up one intake seat .i also have to go to the honda shop and get 1 ex valve keeper to finish the job i hate it when that happens .Ron

OK. Thanks! I appreciate seeing info like this. So that means the seats aren't perfectly round.. right??

OH that sucks about the valve keeper!!! That's the story of my life... one part short... 50cc short on oil... etc

I armed myself with main jets last night. Got a 165, 162, and a 160 to try out.

I forgot to ask you about the pilot jet... should i stick just with stock?

FasterNU, just to give you an idea, with Ron's port work, a good free flowing pipe, and his spec 208 cam, I went from a 172 main all the way down to a 158, in warm weather. When the temp gets cooler, say 65c or less, I run a 162 main. Using U4 (oxygenated) I can get away with one size larger both ways...

Ron,

As a Quality Engineer who has experience in Mfg and Electronics I can tell you that this is not uncommon. Production floor run sampling (e.g. 1 out of 1000) errors occur all the time and when found out usually warrant a recall unless the engineers/designers (plus a slew of other people get involved) can justify the error and that no damage/failure would occur (this is why recall notices are sent out). You've got to remember there are a gazillion valves and seats being stamped out continuously and the line inspectors don't always have good days (neither do optical parts scanners) so errors/mistakes are going to occur.

BTW, is all your equipment calibrated to NIST standards???

(just joshing with ya!) 😢

Don 😢

I heard something years and years ago about Honda. The spares parts they stock are sometimes just barely on the inside of acceptable specs. They'll put good stuff through production runs on OEM new vehicles.

A buddy of mine back in the day, way back, got a set of rods (CB750F) from Honda that had the piston pin holes drilled out of square to the center line of the rod and the crank pin. All four of them. They didnt figure it out until it started eating pistons and then finally seized one.

I remember hearing that replacement bodywork for the motorcycles were the pieces considered blems. They also do this with regular parts????

Ron,

As a Quality Engineer who has experience in Mfg and Electronics I can tell you that this is not uncommon. Production floor run sampling (e.g. 1 out of 1000) errors occur all the time and when found out usually warrant a recall unless the engineers/designers (plus a slew of other people get involved) can justify the error and that no damage/failure would occur (this is why recall notices are sent out). You've got to remember there are a gazillion valves and seats being stamped out continuously and the line inspectors don't always have good days (neither do optical parts scanners) so errors/mistakes are going to occur.

BTW, is all your equipment calibrated to NIST standards???

(just joshing with ya!) 😢

Don 😢

😢 So how is it that Yamaha & KTM don't have that problem?

i got a set of engine cases from honda that had been lined bored with out the dowel pins there was a whole mm miss match when the dowells were installed i had heard the same thing about manufactures the secounds are what got sold over the counter .

Well damn thats really crappy 😢

I second that. 😢😢

I can vouch for the comment that most parts are "seconds" that didn't pass spec on the assembly line. A few years ago I dropped my streetbike and since the damage was limited to the gas tank and I wanted the bike to look stock and original, I dropped nearly $700 for a Yamaha tank. The paint was nowhere near as good as the original tank, there was even a bug in the clear! But, waddya gonna do...?