Sign in to follow this  

2004 vs. 2005 DRZ-S and E

Are there any changes on the 2005? Good deals to be had on the 2004 models. I'd rather have the E but need to have a tag so the S looks best. Anybody in FL. convert an E to street legal (tagged)? After 25 years I'm going to start riding again. Dual Sport rides at first and then maybe enduros. Thank you for your replies/help. 😢

I've come across some used E model purchasers in florida who've had poor luck licensing. I know in Texas, offroad 4 strokes can be converted and made street legal right at the dealer.

The problem with florida, they issue no titles on dirtbikes, so it's hard to get a tag without a title. But I'd ask a dealer in your area if they have a process to convert, before you buy the bike.

There are people in florida riding converted bikes, but I think the conversion was done in a different state to get street title.

This may be either a stupid question or just stating something very obvious.

Ca is not very dirtbike frinedly from what i can gather from on here "remember ia m a Brit" isn't it possible to go get a bike from a neighbouring state and simply take it to Ca, i am thinking that if you have a legal bike in one state then you must be able to ride it any where in the USA 😢 Or if someone accidentally puts a wheel over the state line on a bike that doesn't have all the green stickers or whatever is needed for Ca they get in trouble what is the deal here?

This may be either a stupid question or just stating something very obvious.

Ca is not very dirtbike frinedly from what i can gather from on here "remember ia m a Brit" isn't it possible to go get a bike from a neighbouring state and simply take it to Ca, i am thinking that if you have a legal bike in one state then you must be able to ride it any where in the USA 😢 Or if someone accidentally puts a wheel over the state line on a bike that doesn't have all the green stickers or whatever is needed for Ca they get in trouble what is the deal here?

Our Motor Vehicle system is state run. While you can "visit" any state you wish, your vehilce registrations are based upon your residential address. In other words, it would technically be illegal to purchase and register a vehicle in one state when you live in another. People still do it by using addresses provided by relatives and friends.

I believe the 2005 S has different (and better) tires than the 2004. But tires are cheap, if you find a leftover 2004 go for it.

I believe the 2005 S has different (and better) tires than the 2004. But tires are cheap, if you find a leftover 2004 go for it.

my 05 had(!) deathwings.

Same tires from what I have seen in the dealerships in Oregon, and what is on the web site. One 05 rider said his came with different tires..... Must have been a dealer swap, with or with out his request.

That seems to be quite common in AU, and the UK. You can ask for and order any mannor of aftermarket goodies, and have them installed prior to the bike being delievered. I suppose it could be done in the states to.. It's just not very common. Most bring home a stock bike,,then MOD it on there own,, or take the bike back to a shop later, and have stuff installed.

There's a lot of people here who get their dealer to adjust their chain. Some are good at wrenching (or spannering as it's know here). But It's scary what people some people do to their bikes.

I was at a racetrack this year and a guy on an R1 pulled up in the pitlane, waiting to go out on track. I tapped him on the shoulder and pointed out that the retaining strap from his aftermarket muffler had come unbolted and had slipped down over the link pipe. I told him to ride round to my car and I'd fit a new bolt and fix it for him. I found that the retaining bolt had gone completely and the strap was nearly off the bike. But when I touched the can, it moved on the link pipe - it had never been bolted up. It took about 15 turns of the retaining bolts to clamp that can onto the link pipe! 😢

I'm more scared of the ability of others and the state of their bikes when I'm out on the racetrack than than I am of my own.

Ian

(((I'm more scared of the ability of others and the state of their bikes when I'm out on the racetrack than than I am of my own.)))

Saw this KX125 one time the engine died right at lift off on a douple jump, he endoed and crashed. Turns out the Sparkplug fell out, it had just put it in.

Many years ago I crashed into a guy, whose tranny locked over a step up. Turns out It had locked up several times before(duh keep on racing it). Defective equipment is not only dangerous to oneself but others around the vicinity.