Sign in to follow this  

head pipes

i was wondering what would be the best header to get. right now im running the fmf Ti4 slip on. i was thinkin maybe a powerbomb but was wondering what everyone else thought. i was also considering selling my slip on and getting a full exaust. how are the Dr.D's and CHM's

The CRf I rode with a full powerbomb was "punchy". Take the stock powerband and add some pizzaz to the lower midrange, that's what it did.

The CHM P4R series systems are kind of an all around pipe low to mid. The SM1 is for mid to top. I like the CHM look though.

Or get a Jemco and get both added bottom and top...but at a price...noise.

The Jemco? Guessing, 110db....a PC unit is ~102db, and my CHM SM1 is supposed to be about that as well. TA? I would bet about the same, "as the ear hears" as long as the packing is fresh, it seems to break down rather fast on the megaphone type pipes...

Stock is about 98db typically for a big 4-stroke...or a bit more on most bikes because the packing is worn out...

when you rode that bike with the powerbomb did it make it obnoxiously punchy or just enough to satisfy a need for speed

when you rode that bike with the powerbomb did it make it obnoxiously punchy or just enough to satisfy a need for speed

Not drastic...just a bit of hit. Same bottom as stock then a moderate hit in the real low midrange...as opposed to the TA that comes on even lower and is a big chunk of fat torque and low end but smooth.

If I rode nothing but SX type tracks with lots of traction and tight corners with seat hoppers and jumps right out of them...the TA would be attached to my bike like krazy glue.

i had a full DRD system on my 450 and it was awesome!

until i dropped the bike in a rutted corner and the midpipe TORE IN HALF. 😢

if they didn't build 'em so cheap, they'd be the shizzle IMO.

i wish i could mount the DRD headpipe to the stock can, but of course they are different lengths. so now i'm back to stock and the loss of bottom-end makes me want to cry some more 😢

You want bottom end? And use the stock header you already have? Call Bob at Thunder Alley...his slip on will give you more bottom end than any pipe I have seen yet...for ~250 bucks....

And yes, I dyno'ed that TA slip-on on my stock engined (at the time) 2003 CRF. After making jetting changes it was making 6hp more at 4000rpm than the stock pipe was. Now it did not add any midrange or top...but it romped down ow and could be short shifted like a mofo...

I'd recommend M4 Exhaust. The website is m4performanceexhaust. I've been running their exhaust systems for 3 years now on my 03' crf450 and now their new "square" can on my 05' crf450. They're high quality and pretty reasonable.

I have had great luck with it when I had one....I know several other riders with them...no problems I have seen...they are built pretty nicely and the welds are rather clean. Pretty good work if you ask me.

For comparison I have seen three CHM's all crack at the exact same point, the subframe mount. The plate they weld to the tube cracks...I had a buddy weld mine right up though, not really a big deal if you can weld or have access to one...