Sign in to follow this  

Standing/Braking In Corners

Been practicing corners lately, and I'm trying to work on braking as late as possible into the corner. I know I'm supposed to stand up while entering the corner, and at the same time apply the brakes, but when you do sit down and forward on the bike, are you still supposed to be braking or should all the brakind be done before you sit down? I'm just thinking about your average 180 degree bermed turn. Thanks.

Just about everyone is agreed that you stand up until you need to make the front end stick in the corner. Once you begin to bend it into the corner, sit down forward on the bike to get the front tire to bite, accelerate and stand up again.

If you watch some footage of outdoor races, you will see Reed, who is just about perfect with form, come into a corner and his motions are:

Acclerate into corner

Get braking done late

sit down at last possible moment

make corner (rut, flat, etc.)

hammer throttle out of corner

stand back up on exit.

Repeat.

Sounds simple, but as you know it isn't. Just gives us more to work on. The way I see it, if your front tire doesn't need to bite, then you probably should be standing. Not so easy.

James

Hammering the throttle makes the tire spin, they slightly roll it on really early in the corner to have traction and then acceleration according to the traction.

....are you still supposed to be braking or should all the brakind be done before you sit down?

When you're standing and braking, your arch is on the peg and your toe on the brake. As you sit, keep braking with your toe as you lift your arch off (and above) the peg. When you're done braking, get your foot back on the peg only. The Gary Semics Cornering video shows this in slow-mo dozens of times -- it's my favorite of the GS videos that I have.

Corner speed is all about momentum, the transition from standing to sitting, and where you place your butt on the seat is very important, it all about placing the weight of you body to give the part of you bike the most bite it can possible have, Being smooth is very important, especially throttle control,if your back tire is spinning too much the bike will be too squirlly and throw you off line, on a big thumper its also good to torque threw the corners, meaning, instead of second gear, reving the motor, spining the tire or wheeling, use third, put the power to the ground and steer off the front tire, much smoother...