Sign in to follow this  

Bastards stole my tool kit....

Maybe I was kind of naive thinking people wouldn't mess with my bike if I parked it overnight on a fairly busy street. Well I was still surprised to see my little tailbag wide open and the stock toolkit missing (along with my tire gauge, spare fuses, and rear foot pegs).

So, does anyone have a better way to carry tools around? I was thinking maybe a lockable box that I could bolt onto the subframe instead of that weak little nylon bag that comes with the bike.

Also, are there any decent aftermarket toolkits that y'all can recommend. Thanks for any suggestions.

I know it was just a crappy stock toolkit, but I feel kinda violated. Bastards 😢

Well the easiest simple security device would be to put a small padlock on the bag between the 2 rings on the zip 😢 maybe a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted tho 😢

If they want it bad enough, they'll get it no matter what you use to lock it. I sometimes think it's worst to lock things up because it makes them think there's something valuable inside.

I didn't want my tool kit stolen either. That's why I only carry it with me when I go offroading. I never bring it when I'm just riding around town.

First, I have to ask this: What were you thinking, man?

Now that I got that out of the way, I carry all my tools in a backpack that also holds my Camelback. I use the MSR Toolwrap, but any kind of small bag will do. My toolkit was assembled piece by piece and is mostly craftsman. I've seen complete toolkits you can buy for the bike but I wonder about the quality of the tools and if you would be paying for tools you don't need or can't use. Carrying the weight on my back took a little getting used to but now I don't notice it and I don't have to worry about leaving someting valuable on the bike.

And a padlock on a fabric bag is like putting a deadbolt on a screen door. One slice and you're in.

yeah i guess it was dumb to carry it with me but i learned my lesson. and to make my day even better, i just discovered that my clutch cable is down to its last threads. oh well, time to head back to the motorcycle store again.... 😢

I am with Rich, for normal around town rides I use a tool roll with just a few Craftsman tools I picked out just for the bike. I bungee cord the tool roll to the bike and take it with me when I park it. I only carry five combination open end wrenches (a different size on each end); real pliers; a bit driver with only the phillips, flat and the hex bits I need; and an axle wrench. It is very small and is pretty much anything I am likely to need. It fits inside my helmet or even my back pocket so it is easy to carry with around with me.

Only for serious trail rides or long distance DP rides does it bulk up with more wrenches; locking pliers; a tire iron; 1/4" ratchet, sockets and extension; tube and inflator; zip ties; duct tape; safety wire; plug wrench; and all the other crazy stuff I pack in there for big time breakdowns, crashes and flats.

I also agree that a locked bag will be a cut bag. The one on my XT350 was opened so many times that I lost count. The only thing they ever found in there was a rag and a mini bungee cord. Which got ripped off a couple of times.

Check out Dirtbikegear.com. Their fender bag comes with a tool pouch that removes from the fender bag. You take the tools with you when you leave the bike. Nice bag and bullet proof too.

contact alophind. he will tell you the best way to store your tools on the back of your bike.

Check out Dirtbikegear.com. Their fender bag comes with a tool pouch that removes from the fender bag. You take the tools with you when you leave the bike. Nice bag and bullet proof too.

I have the Moose rear fender bag & realized of course it's not safe to leave my tools in there. So, I found a mesh bag with a zipper that fits perfect in there. Bimart & GI Joe's both carry them in the backpacking department. I just store it with my riding gear until I hit the trail.

Thieving bastards...

I have my tool kit in the OEM rack box, doesn't have a lock either.

I should probably make one for it.

Another thing I worry about parking in busy areas is

my Clarke gas tank doesn't have a locking cap...

Any ********* could dump in a coke or what have you and ruin my day/bike...

contact alophind. he will tell you the best way to store your tools on the back of your bike.

😢

Anyway, after some things disappeared off my old Honda, I don't carry tools in town either.

I use a chain which I bent to the zipper pull. The helmet lock fits through a link on the other end of the chain. My father says locks are for honest people. It will stop them. Doesn't current law consider that if you did not lock something you were just inviting people to steal your stuff? 🙂 Some people will break any lock to steal whatever they can. In that case I would not leave my MC there or it will be gone too.