Sign in to follow this  

Check Valve in DRZ250 gas cap--drill it out

I just bought my wife a DRZ250. It wasn't running right so I got the 49 state carb (by the way the airboot and manifold are also different). However when I rode it very hard it would just quit.

Answer: Under the gas cap is a metal contraption that holds a huge check valve (about as big as a pea). When I ran it hard it couldn't get enough air so it would vapor lock.

Fix: There are small plastic tabs holding the metal apparatus on--just drill them out---the piece will fall out and it will breathe right.

Now I have no vapor lock and it runs great.

They are great motorcycles once they are jetted and breathing right.

Orator520

KTM520

DRZ250

CRF230

son-JR50

I don't have a pic. I was a bit pissed at the time and I chucked the check valve and everything into the trash.

When you look under the gas cap you will see the metal on the bottom of the cap. Look on the edge and there are tiny tabs holding it on---you barely have to drill and the whole piece will come right out.

I'm talking about the gas cap on the gas tank. Maybe it is just a CA only deal---but in CA there is a metal apparatus on the bottom of the cap w/ a huge check valve that doesn't let enough air in to the tank----thus causing vapor lock.

Orator520

I see. Not in the rest of the country, we don't have what you describe. The valve is about an inch deep and seems to be fine. No vapor locking as far as I'm concerned.