Sign in to follow this  

New KLX 300 owner here

Bought a '97 KLX300. It ain't pretty, but runs like a champ. I've put about 10 hours on it allready, and it is strong. Only thing that bothers me is a loud tick-tick-ticking from the head. I'm going to pull the valve cover off and measure the clearances myself. It they are within spec then cool. If they are out of tolerance then I have to decide whether of not to proceed. I use to pull the cams all the time on my KZ650 about 20+ years ago. It was a piece of cake back then.

I've no shop manual, but have printed out the valve adjustment page off PlanetKLX.com and it seems pretty straight forward. Any pitfalls to watch for? The dealer only changes $129.00 for a complete service, but this is not my favorite dealer. They scratched the hell out of ATV Grizzly last time I let them touch it. And they can't get to the bike for a week. I expect to be riding this Sat and Sun. 😢

I have heard the auto compression release can get loose and cause a rattle sound in the head area. If the valves are in spec, I wonder if that wouldn't be where the noise is coming from?

I'm new to the KLX scene myself, recently got a 2000 300. So far no complaints.

I have heard the auto compression release can get loose and cause a rattle sound in the head area. If the valves are in spec, I wonder if that wouldn't be where the noise is coming from?

I'm new to the KLX scene myself, recently got a 2000 300. So far no complaints.

Thanks! I'll pay attention to that also. BTW, my bikes been modified somewhat. The decompression is not auto, but is actuated by pulling a stubby little lever near the clutch lever on the handlebar. The actual decompression unit is attached to the head cover, on the left side forward part of the cover. So that could be making the noise also. BTW, this non-oem unit works real well for rotating the engine and seems to work well when I feel the need to use it.

The bike also has the CV carburetor replaced with a throttle body carb. Top triple clamp is billet steel, and there's a hot start also attached to the carb. There's also a WER steering dampner attached. Other then that, the bike is mostly stock. Thankfully the exhaust is stock, and not one of those neighborhood destroying, fire spitting, roaring things.

You might want to put in a cam chain while you're at it. Around $85, but in my experience, replacing one helped quiet down the top end. Bill

You might want to put in a cam chain while you're at it. Around $85, but in my experience, replacing one helped quiet down the top end. Bill

Is the chain endless? If it has a master link, then threading a new one is trivial. If I have to pull the engine and slip it over the crank, I'd probably want to hold off right now and just live with some noise.

The cam chain is endless but you don't have to pull the engine to replace it, just the side cover. It's located on the end of the cam shaft, not the center.

A ticking top end is normal for the KLX.

Ride on

Brewster