Sign in to follow this  

Xr350

Hi I bought a 1985 XR350R. Does anyone know how much oil and what type to put in it. Does it take seperate trans oil or does the engine oil lube it all. Any info on theis bike or any web sites to look at would be helpful.

Thanks

John

I'm not sure on capacities, but one thing is the XR's run very hot. Especially the 200, 250, and 350 with the rfvc head. My suggestion would be to look for those valve covers with the cooling fins on the to help disipate the heat. Also, you might consider new valves and heavy duty valve springs because the fact that it's an 85 might mean these were beat and you will kill the engine in short time without correcting problems that were inherent in these honda models.

Honda specs call for 1.6 quarts of 10w40(I use Honda oil in mine) for a stock engine, 2.1 for a rebuilt engine. I run somewhere in-between the two and my engine seems happy. The 85 is a dry sump engine, the oil rides in a cavity in the frame. You can check your oil level by removing the oil cap located right behind the gas tank, it has a dip stick. There are a few websites that have decent info, but I have found the best advice right here on this site from real people who have had real experience with the bike you are asking about(whatever bike). I bought mine, didn't know ANYTHING about it and asked around on here and got all the info I needed. Nuff said!

bike--1985 XR 350R

When i do an oil and filter change i usually put just bshy of 2 qts just add 1.5 qts then start it let it run for a min then let it sit a min and check the dipstick. These do run hot but only if you flog the clutch and arent moving fast. You should never really need to let it just run sitting still. give it 2 mins with the choke then start riding easy. i always park mine on TDC by bumping the kickstarter over till i feel the piston bump over. This leaves the valves closed so the springs are not being compressed while hot. just my .02 👍

i always park mine on TDC by bumping the kickstarter over till i feel the piston bump over. This leaves the valves closed so the springs are not being compressed while hot.

That little trick is also a good idea to help keep the valve guides from moving downward. The valve guides in some old engines will fall downward in a hot engine when you shut it off. Then when you start it up, you bend a valve, or snap off the valve head. This has never happened to me, but I've heard this from the "Old School" people. Also this trick insures both valves are closed for winter storage, and keeps moist air out of the combustion chamber.

Valve guides on XRs are pressed in from the top. There is simply no way for them to move downward.

John. make sure you run the bike for about 10 min before you check the oil..If you check it before the bike has been run you will not find oil on the dip stick and you will over fill it thinking it is low....Over filling is a big no no.....

After I replied to this thread i went out to start my 350 and the thing was a bear. Made a liar out of me. But i'm pretty sure it is in a great need of a valve adjustment.

Hey... Regarding motor oil, I've heard good things about almost every name brand oil made for ATVs: Valvoline, Castrol, etc. Most of them now have a line of ATV oils made for the wet clutch and (sometimes) extreme abuse of dirt bikes. I use Valvoline 10W-40 in my 1984 XR500R, no problems at all, just keep it really clean. Adjusting the valves is super easy and makes a big difference in power and quiet operation, if they're out of ajustment. Hopefully you already have a shop manual or are in the acquisition process. Have fun, ride hard.

Make sure you use high octane gas 91 or higher. I used low octane and my engine made a bad clanking sound.

I just gave mine to my bro in law for Christmas, so don't have the manual anymore.  Lots of guys run diesel oil in these old singles, they have more detergents and hold up to the heat. Synthetic is best, but you change it so often it's kind of a waste. 

You check the (warm) oil with the bike upright, not leaning on the side stand.

I use Valvoline 10W-40 synthetic 1.6 Qts. on my '85 XR350 Use a steel mesh filter, which is easy to clean, and change oil every 100-125 miles no problems so far.

Change oil every 100 miles?! Dang...

How long does it take you? Prolly got it down like a NASCAR pit crew?